Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"Are you sure you guys have everything?" You released Bart from your tight embrace, pulling back to look at the speedsters before you. They had traveling gear for their journey. They were about to leave.

And you were sad, conflicted, heartbroken. The thought of them departing utterly terrified you. You had never noticed until now, and would never care to admit, but you had grown very close to these three, especially Wally and... Bart.

You'd be alone again without those who made you laugh, for whom you woke up early to bake pancakes, who made you smile. Without those who made you happy, who were your family.

Barry Allen, aka The Flash himself, who was putting both his reputation and his life in danger by agreeing to help you bring this to an end. He had no obligation to do so, yet he decided to anyway, and with enthusiasm. That alone was definitely enough for you to secretly approve the slightest fondness for him.

Wally West, without whom you would've never been able to save Bart, or any speedster, from the virus sweep. Even when he was lost and stranded and searching desperately for his friend, he always made time for Bart and you. When this would all be over, you'd certainly try and reunite him with his vanished partner, as a proper way to thank him for everything that he's done for you.

And... Bart Allen. The boy who had started off as a misnamed, obnoxious Impulse and had come all this way to transform into a hyperactive, enthusiastic human. He taught you that in life, there was always something to be happy about. And he helped you realize that by helping you out of your isolation, picking up all the shattered (Y/N) shattered pieces from the past and gluing them back together, which then allowed you to re-discover the world by showing it to him.

Even an eternal amount of funnel cake would never be enough to express your gratitude.

And as he left, as your loyal, beloved companion left, giving a mere wave and a mumbled 'bye', without even looking at you, too focused on his task to do so, as he left you behind, you felt tears build in your eyes, you felt your heart tear in half.

And for the first time, you wanted Bart to say those three magic words you had been denying. You wanted him to say them one last time, before he abandoned you like this.

Because you wanted to finally give him a proper, honest reply.

"I love you too Bart."

Bart was preoccupied. Definitely preoccupied.

Thoughts of all sorts were racing through his tired mind. Food. His favourite jacket. (Y/N). His grandfather, who was up ahead with his cousin. Running. That crash book you had fallen asleep reading the other day. (Y/N). (Y/N).

He was trying to keep you out of his head, to focus on his mission. That's why his farewell had been so cold, so quick, earlier. In fact, he had so direly wished to run to you, pick you up in his arms, twirl you and hold you close and hide his face in your gorgeous hair. Maybe hand out a dumb comment to make you smile.

You were invading his conscience, and he was powerless against it.

That only made things worse. Not only was he distracted, his appreciation factor was sharply declining as he got further and further away from you. Without even realizing it, he had developed a dependency on you over the past while. Now that you weren't there to laugh, to roll your eyes, to remind him of how much of a messy eater he was, he just felt so... Alone. Cold, empty.

He terribly missed you. And he would've done anything to speed back to you.

That what his heart speaking. His mind, meanwhile, knew what had to be done beforehand. His task was to save the speedsters. (Y/N) could wait. She wasn't in danger, and nor was he. He'd see her at the end of all of this.