Son of a Bitch

I pull the brush through one last time, setting it down upon the counter as I look up at the girl before me. The girl who sulked the whole day in bed yesterday as Flynn respected my privacy. But today I head out, the sun not even out yet as Flynn is about to drop by and pick me up. Today we head out to escape the world and I pray we do not get lost. Not lost in location as our phones cannot gps us back to society, but so lost in our emotions that we forget what lies ahead for us. College and the chance of Flynn being rejected by his father. So lost in our emotions that we forget about the reality of his mate. I do not know who she is or when she will appear, but I do know there's a chance that she could tear us apart. I believe in Flynn and his strength on how the mate bond does not mean you are in love, but I worry that he only says it because he has not experienced the bond yet.

I can hear the car pull up, the sound of the engine turning off. I pick up my bag, heading for the front door as the lights are all off within the house and my parents asleep. They trust Flynn with my life. Not because he is the future Alpha, but because he is loyal and cares for me. Locking the door behind me, I turn around to face the car, a Jeep replacing what is usually a sleek car. Flynn stands by the passenger side, opening the door for me as a smile crosses my lips. The moment his eyes meet mine, my heart speeds up and I find my life going by fast as I'm soon in the car, Flynn taking the wheel.

"So where is our destination?"

He smiles.

"What all did you pack?" He asks, taking a left onto the freeway as I see we are headed east. "What types of shoes?"

"Sandals and sneakers. Didn't know which I would be needing," I respond, looking back to the small duffle bag. "My mother hinted at sun screen and a swimming suit just to be prepared. I'm guessing that you told her."

"Gold star to Amory," he comments, plastering his pearly whites across his face. "To the beach for a day of getting away." I wait for his next words. "Your mother made sure I would tell her."

"Well, I can't wait to see where this day takes us," I announce, plastering my own smile across my face as he turns up the classic rock. For the most part, I look out the window, humming the chorus as Flynn takes the guitar solo, mocking the sounds as the ride is not filled with awkward silence. Awkward silence like when I think of how I am to reject Augustus. I could reject him while we are drunk, for him to not remember. But what justice could be done there?

"Flynn," I announce, his response is turning down the music as he awaits my words. "What..." Asking the question would lead to an argument that I do not want to ruin this day. "Did you bring sunscreen?" He raises an eyebrow, nodding his head as I have gotten away with an argument. But how will I reject Augustus? Just pop out of no where and explain to him that I'm a werewolf, a thing of fiction, and we are mates and I am rejecting him. Yah, because that will work out just peachy.

As the ride comes to any end, we find ourselves parked between two trucks, the ocean before us as my heart skips a beat. It's been two years since I was here. I've missed the smell and the sand. Looking around, I see waves crashing upon the shore, chairs and umbrellas set up, a few beach bars, and friends having fun. There's a ton of people our age here today.

Augustus.

He asked me about going to the beach.

This is the group from our school.

I take a closer look, recognizing a girl with scarlet hair, the boy with her. These are my classmates and fellow pack members even. These are the people Augustus was going with. Is going with. He's here. He's somewhere. But he's here. "Did you know these people would be here?" I ask, wondering if he knew about this group.