Names or Faces

The weather is beautiful at this time in the morning, the dew fresh from the night, the sun barely rising, the chirping of birds heard, and the town barely awake in this summer day. Here I sit, on the patio of the backyard, my mother beside me as we enjoy early morning coffee with one another. As we discuss how my life is about to do a three-sixty with college alone, I have so much I have to tell her. Last night I had asked if she wanted an early morning cup of coffee with me to discuss some issues. Starting off the conversation about college, we are still on the topic, right now talking about my roommate who I will meet in person when I arrive. Mother is in for big news. News that happened three days ago and I've been reflecting off of. For three days my mind has been busy, my eyes unable to rest at night as I can't calm myself down.

Flynn respects that, giving me time as we text here and there, for the most part a sense of me avoiding him has settled in my stomach. Avoiding not because I have made my decision and it's a definite no, but because it's a massive decision. To put your needs before the packs is all tradition warns you about. The strength of the wolf is the pack and vice versa. As children, we are taught that our own dreams and wishes are selfish, that if we head off to college and never return to the pack, we are banished and seen as tainted and selfish. The second you put what is best for you before your pack is when you watch those with strong beliefs in tradition shun you. Thankfully my parents have always been open, teaching me along the way that I can have a life outside the pack. Rogues are seen as negative for the most part, but only those that are banished. A majority of rogues decide to leave not because of a bad relationships to the pack because they wish to see the world, to experience what the humans have done, to see out their ambitions. Change is something you cannot avoid. Our community likes to ignore the rapid change happening all around and because of that, we still hold onto viewpoints that put us behind in developments of ideas. The strongest packs in our Empire are built off of loose traditional views.

"So I have some news," I interrupt the silence as we finish talking about my roommate. My mother nods her head, taking a sip of her coffee as she's intrigued. Little does she know that what she will hear are big words. Setting my cup down on the table, I pull my knees into my body, trying to ind a comfortable position for this uncomfortable topic. "Flynn...he found his mate."

Her eyes go from bright and interested to emotionless. She doesn't know what to expect from what I will say. Running a hand through my hair, a ghost smile passes my face. "I watched him meet her, June, a beautiful woman. She was breathtaking and everything I thought as a perfect girl for Flynn."

My mother nods. "Amory, sometimes the perfect girl is not the perfect match," she inputs, watching as my eyes water and I wipe away the fresh and salty tears.

"He, well, she rejected him first." My mother's eyes widen. "She's in a relationship and in love with a man. Flynn confided in me that some of the words she spoke were that she knew from the way Flynn looked at her that he was in love with someone else."

"That someone else being you," she comments, watching as I nod as my smile spreads. "Sweetie, are you doubting that h-

"He informally proposed to me the day we got back."

I have no filter, letting my mother know the main reason I wanted to sit down with her and have a chat. I watch as she goes from caring and motherly to shocked and speechless. I watch as her mouth is open, unable to form words as her eyes are wide. When I was young father said I knew how to shock people news, I guess this is a perfect paradigm.

"Flynn wants to reject the Alpha title. He plans on doing if before he leaves for university and we both know his father will banish him because of it." I take in a shaky deep breath. "He wants to know if I would be still willing to stand by his side when he's a rogue." To werewolves, this is an informal proposal as well as very early.