As Freedom Knocks

Trouble in paradise. Trouble in a relationship where two saw their futures take shape together. As the rain pours down on this summer evening, I watch as she hops out of the car, pacing herself quickly over as I wonder what went wrong. I wonder what happened to cause her to come here, to the house where the girl that he cheated on her with lives. She should hate me, never want to venture to this property, yet here she is, soaking wet and looking heartbroken. Getting up from my seat, I head to the front door, hearing her knock three times. A short pause and I open the door, meeting those bright green eyes as I do not know what to expect. Do I expect a slap, vulgar words thrown left and right, or what else? She should hate and I know I deserve it, yet something tells me that she came here because she needs my help.

"Amory," Molly greets, her voice shaky as I open the door wide, motioning for her to enter as she stands out in the rain.

"Hi, Molly," I greet, closing the door behind her as I look at her appearance. Her red hair is one massive birds nest, bags under her green eyes, her skin paler than usual, and her posture slouched unlike the poise posture she usually cares herself around with. I remember one of the first things I became jealous of was how she holds her shoulders back and her chin high as if natural, I thought that was a reason why Augustus loved her over me. "Can I help you?" I ask, trying not to sound rude as her eyes begin to water. "Are you-

I'm silenced not by a slap, but by pure shock as she throws her arms around me, latching herself onto me as a sob escapes her lips. Instantly I wrap my arms around her, comforting her as I am worried about what is happening to her. She's heartbroken. Something bad has happened and I have a good idea that it has to deal with Augustus.

"I need help," she whispers, her voice hoarse as I don't know if I will be able to help.

"Ask away." I owe her at least that much.

<>

"Since you two split, he's been different...he's been cautious and has been going into the woods a lot," Molly explains as I hand her the cup of coffee. "We hardly talk or see one another. He's become a hermit and is obsessed with these weird books." I already know what is going on and I feared it would happen. I knew it would happen, but I feared that it would get this bad. I mean, what do you expect when you submerge a human into a whole new world of wolves and the stuff humans claim are nightmares. So fee humans submerged into our world are able to not go as crazy on the reading up. Hell, some humans go insane.

I owe it to Augustus. I owe it to him to help him, to talk with him. "Where is he?" I ask, taking in a deep breath as Molly shakes her head. "I can help and chat with him, Molly."

She wipes away a tear. She loves him. I know she does. "My guess is that he's in his room. He's there when he's not in the woods. I'm worried, Amory, and I am here because I know, that behind all of this drama, you two are still best friends." Her words feel like knives. Knives not because I want to be something more than a best friend like how I wanted in the past, but knives because after everything I've done to her, she still finds kindness and respects me. "Please."

I nod. "I'll help. Don't worry. I'll have a chat with him," I inform, knowing its best to hold it off till Molly decides to leave. I don't want to kick her out when she needs someone, for she has never kicked me out. Months ago I saw Molly as a girl I wanted to hate because she had Augustus, but even then I could not hate her because she was a sweet person. I've never seen her yell or even say a vulgar word. She's different. She's pure. She doesn't deserve to know about the world Augustus has been informed of because it would taint her, take her away from what sets her apart. If she was a wolf, I would have no doubt that she would have Luna blood in her, for she would be the perfect Luna, strong and nice. Full of mercy and kindness. The perfect balance to a dominate Alpha.