Thats Not My Name

I had never really had to clean solely from bathing. Usually at home I would steal an hour or two for myself in the bathroom, sitting in the tub, music blaring, book in hand. The only way to get private time in our cramped apartment. But whenever I was done I would have a shower to properly get clean. But here there was no shower nozzle. Instead a small hammered out tin bucket was set beside the claw foot tub. The water in the tub was murky brown like the river through my city. Apparently I had been laying in the mud by the road for a long time before those two weirdos found me. I was trying to figure out how to wash the suds of nasty smelling soap out of my hair without getting the dirty water in it when the door shoved open. I quickly clutched the bucket to my chest, sinking further into the murky water to hide myself. Eleanor casually walked in  holding a pile of clothes.

"I'm sorry to disturb you Miss Alice, but I must bring you your night gown. Do you need assistance dressing?" Eleanor asked her back toward me as she sat a pile of clothes on the table that replaced a counter. 

"What? No! I mean I'm okay. Just leave. Please," I kept flicking my eyes between the door and her, hoping she would get the message that I wanted her gone.

"Of course Miss Alice. Is there anything else?" Eleanor stood waiting for my command patiently, apparently not getting my need for her to leave. Immediately.

"Um nope all good here. Just I would like to, you know, get dressed so um," I nodded my head to the door.

A look of dawning fell on her face,"Oh of course Miss Alice. I will leave you be now." She looked down at the floor, her face reddening. Oh great, now I've embarrassed her. Good going Alice. Eleanor started moving towards the door.

"Um Eleanor?" She looked at me but then remembering, quickly looked down at the floor, "You don't have to call me miss. I mean I'm not your teacher or anything, am I right?"

"Of course Miss... I mean Alice," she quickly left, her face as red a tomato, the door clicking closed behind her.

I ducked my head quickly under the water to get out the soap, I guess a little dirt never hurt anyone. I got out of the bath spluttering. Wrapping a towel around my head, I grabbed Elizabeth's nightgown. I never had such beautiful pjamas. Usually I slept in loose sweats and a oversized cotton shirt. I preferred my own pyjamas. This night gown was itchy from the lace around the neck. It seemed to be made more for appearance than comfort. Although I'm not sure how many people you can expect to see while you're sleeping.

I left the bathroom and headed down the hall. I hadn't taken more than a few seconds to realize I had no idea where I was heading. Luckily someone was coming around the corner. He was a tall guy about twenty with intentionally curled long brown hair. He held his head high as he passed several servants, not even giving them a nod of acknowledgement. I stifled a laugh of this guys comical walk and outfit. He walked like he had a meter stick taped to his back. That can't be comfortable(or natural) to have posture that severe.  His ridiculous outfit and hair were almost as bad as his walk. Too many flowery patterns and bright contrasting colours. How was this  the fashion. Forget the eighties for terrible fashion, the seventeen hundreds took the cake.

When he saw me, he rushed forward as prim and properly as he could. His eyes wide he clutched both of my arms but still stood far away. I feel like he was told too many times when he was little "Leave Room For The Holy Spirit". His properness seemed to melt away a bit, "Elizabeth, I-I," he stuttered, "I heard you have been rescued. I regret that it could not be myself that rescued you. But as soon as I was informed of your return I had to come. You being here finally abates my sorrow."

"Uh, you too buddy. I think you've got the wrong girl though. My name is Alice. I'll probably will be leaving tomorrow. But if you could just point me to my room that would be great," I said stepping away from his arms. The guy looked confused and hurt.

"Do you not recognize me, my sweet Elizabeth. Are you well? I will get someone to fetch a doctor," he said signalling down a passing servant.

  "Once again, that's not my name. Also I am fine and a doctor has been already here," I said getting tired of constantly repeating myself.

"What did the doctor diagnose?" He said grabbing my hands. It looked like I could almost see this guy's heartbreaking.

  "Apparently memory loss. Which I don't have. Because I am not fricking Elizabeth. I don't know who you are or my 'parents' are," I used quotation marks, "Don't worry your darling Elizabeth is still out there. You just gotta find her."

He looked so sad and concerned for me, "Oh I am so sorry Elizabeth. I do not understand most of what you are saying my dear, it seems you have forgotten your eloquent ways, but I understood enough to realize you are unwell."

I threw my hands in the air frustrated, "My name is not Elizabeth!"

He tried to embrace me but I pushed him off, "If you wish to be called Alice, then that is what I will do until you are ready to be called Elizabeth." He said quietly.

"Thank you," I grunt, "I won't ever be ready though because I'm not Elizabeth. And if you'd so kindly direct me to my room, that would be much appreciated." He must not have understood the sarcasm in that last sentence since he quickly brought me to my room, smiling like he won a point in his favour.

Eleanor was putting away laundry in my fairly large room when I came in. The guy wished me a goodnight and left, which I  was thankful for. I closed the door and looked at Eleanor. "Who was that guy," I asked as I kicked off some uncomfortable shoes that Eleanor had given to me. Eleanor looked surprised.

"That is your fiancée, Alice. Abraham Warlest. His father is Lord Timothy Warlest. Don't you remember?" Eleanor asked.

I sighed,"No I don't because this is not my life! This isn't even my century!" I said hysterically . Eleanor stopped hanging the dresses to stare at me quizzically.

"Why don't you lie down, Alice?" She said as she turned down the bed covers. Of course she would wonder if I was sane saying something like that.  I wouldn't even believe my best friend if she told me something crazy like that. If there was only something I could show her to prove it. I felt in my pockets to see if I still had it. Luckily it came on the journey with me. Not really thinking, I slip the phone out of my pocket and hold it up.

"I can prove it. I bet you have never seen this before," I said smiling. I click on the home screen button and it lights up the dull room. "No service and no date, surprising." I notice that some features such as wifi, Bluetooth, service, and date were disabled. Eleanor backed up in fear.

"What is that?!" She shook in fear. She knelt down on her knees and I think began praying. I yanked her up onto her feet.

"It's not the work of the devil, relax. It's from my time. We call it a cellphone. It works by tapping the screen. It is a letter writer, a clock, calendar, weather predictor, chessboard, map, book, dictionary, music player, notepad, etcetera. It's main functions are so that you can talk to anybody no matter where they are in the world instantly like they are in the room and its mostly use it for looking up answers to pretty much anything you can think of." I tried to explain something very complicated very fast. She approached slowly peering at the screen. I unlocked the screen opening it to home screen. "Do you believe me yet?"