A Walk In The Woods

"No, no, no, Abraham, you will be standing four men down from George, directly across from Elizabeth. Not across from his sister. I know you only got back a few days ago, but you truly must try, Abraham," Margaret sighed exasperated as we stood in the empty cathedral. She took Abraham roughly by the shoulders and forced him to change spots with a servant who was standing in for George's brother Prince William Henry. None of the royals bothered to show up for the rehearsal dinner, even the groom, so instead we "borrowed" a few servants to stand in their places.

"I apologize Margaret but this morning I was unaware I was even going to be in the wedding," he said stiffly, leaning heavily on his cane after the tiredness that comes from standing for several hours.

Margaret sighed dramatically, "The ceremony is tomorrow everyone, we cannot act like it is in a fortnight!" She surveyed the cathedral, her blue eyes sweeping over the group, each person standing straighter as her eyes flicked past them. Her gaze fell on me. "Elizabeth, something seems off about you..."

"Thanks, Margaret," I rolled my eyes,"And what can I do to fix that?"

She tapped her lips,"I believe it to be your hair. Or maybe your eyes... they are too far apart. Can you fix that by tomorrow?"

"Nope, I really cannot."

"Why don't Elizabeth and I ask the florists to bring in the flowers. Perhaps then this will be more to your liking," Abraham suggested, giving me a subtle wink.

Margaret pursed her lips, "Yes, yes but be quick with the task." We both nodded our heads in somber agreeance, what a large and important task that we have been assigned to do. I walked over to Abe, lacing my arm through his as we walked down the aisle of the church on our way to the doors. We could hear Margaret mutter "Some part of this is off..." as we walked away.

"Perhaps if her future husband was actually here it would feel more like the wedding,"Abe chuckled.

"We are not getting the florist are we?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Of course not. I did not choose to come back to stand by whilst I listen to Margaret complain for hours on end," He smirked.

"Hmm so now we are saying that you chose to get shot?"

"Yes, that is now the official story," he smirked and tugged my arm leading me down a road that leads to the main road.

"Where are we going?"

"It is a lovely evening we might as well walk. We may stop in a pub or-"

"Nope, no pub. Remember?"

"I am still not assured of this 'drinking is bad for babies' idea."

"Well believe me it is. No pub."

"Alright."

He laced his fingers through mine and we walked in silence together down the darkening street. The streetlights were still unlit so the only small amount of light came from inside the windows and the last gleams of sun over the hill. My nose and cheeks were beginning to feel numb from the bite in the air, but I didn't mind, for months all I wanted was this. Us together. Just his very presence warmed my soul. We walked through streets of townhouses where the only sound was that of the muffled laughter and conversation inside.

As we passed in front of a dingy little pub, a commotion made us stop in our tracks. The door slammed open and two men threw another man out into the street. The obviously drunk man landed face down on the slippery cobblestone and did not get back up but instead laid there moaning.