Lock 'Er Up And Throw Away The Key

Everyone stopped. I glanced back at Eleanor, she and Tom had stopped dancing, still in each other's embrace and looking toward the commotion. Wait Mr Williams must only be wanting to ask her questions. He must. Tom was trying to usher Eleanor away from the party but she stood still. She didn't speak up but seemed worried and concerned. Tom whispered in her ear and again trying to pull her away.

"Concerned with my daughter's favourite maid, are you?" Duchess Hemerton called shrilly over the crowd, a sharp edge to her voice.

"Duchess this 'maid' of yours has reasonable evidence to show that she has been responsible for the witchcraft going on," Lord Warlest stated. Eleanor began to leave with Tom, her face only slightly worried. We made eye contact and she gave me a quick nervous smile. She thought that I was going to fix this.

Abraham spoke up before I did though, "There is absolutely no evidence supporting this outlandish accusation, father." He spat the last word like it tasted bad in his mouth.

Mr Williams smiled a cruel and twisted smile, "There is in fact incriminating evidence that we have collected. But we will not be revealing it until the trial tomorrow."

"There is not going to be a trial!" I shouted angrily at the two lying men.

"Of course there will be! Do not speak woman, this does not concern you!" Lord Warlest spat, his calm demeanour breaking, and the hidden cruelty bubbling to the surface. Maybe him and William were meant to be, both of them were cruel.

"This does concern me, you wretched disgraceful liar! Eleanor is my friend and you will not touch her as long as I am here!" I balled my hands into fists. I had always been short-tempered when those I cared about were insulted or threatened. When a little girl down the street stole my little sister Monica's bike when I was ten, I marched down the street and stole the bike back while the girl was still riding it. I got in a crap load of trouble after because she hurt herself, complained to her mother, who came and complained to my mother. Apparently she was 'borrowing' the bike which made my punishment even larger. I didn't regret it then and still don't now. My stomached boiled, the fuel of my anger heating my insides. I stepped forward, ready to take a swing at the two men, but I held myself back. A physical fight would not help Eleanor.

"Abraham, keep your woman contained," Mr Williams sniffed. He scanned the faces of the crowd, trying to find the person who he would lay the blame.

"Do not tell me to contain her. She is not my child, she is my wife and she can speak as she wishes!" Abraham said. "Now leave our wedding festivities at once. You are not invited here."

Abraham's mother spoke up finally, "Do not be ridiculous Abraham. If your father says this woman is the witch, she is the witch."

"You can leave as well mother."

Lady Warlest's mouth opened and closed quickly. She raised her chin and squared her shoulders. Empathy had left Lady Warlest a long time ago if she ever had it at all, usually you could almost assume she did feel it if not very little,but her usual trickery had left her voice. She said stiffly and shallowly, "Do not bother bringing your wife back to our home. Do not bother speaking to us again. You do not support the family so you are not a part of the family."

Abraham stood still his face as still as the wind in the block. It seemed to stop along with everyone else. A breath being held.A scandal so publicly shown instead of whispered in back rooms, it was unlike anything the town had ever seen. Townspeople held poorly concealed glee; the prosperous have finally been broken. Abraham's eye twitched slightly and his voice came out quietly like the silent flames that sneak out of the fireplace, heading to burn down the house,"You were never my family."