Moving On from Tragedy

The energy coursed through my veins like electricity, and I could feel my core filling up more than it ever had. It felt like waking up- refreshing and leaving you with a sense of power that made it seem like suddenly everything was within your capabilities. 

Letting go of the stone with a sense of awe, my eyes lifted to survey the room and its occupants. Although initially everyone had been thrown back as a result of the explosion, Elite was climbing to their feet and looking at each other in a gleeful daze, disbelieving smiles slowly curling upon their lips. 

Annihilate stood up slowly, gazing back at us with horror and anger clouding his masked features, looking as though he was boiling over with rage at the complete foiling if his plans. 

I looked down at my hands in wonder, wiggling my fingers and grinning at the familiar wisps that danced around my fingertips. The color had changed from midnight blue to a darker sapphire, and I loved it. Going through the familiar motions of slowly building up a ball of energy between my palms, I turned to first unfortunate robot I saw and promptly directed my magic towards it, watching as the wisps seeped through its metal casing and within a few seconds, left it twitching on the floor with sparks flying off.

Oh, we had this now.

Having overcome the initial shock, the fighting had commenced once again, but this time it was ten times more chaotic. With jets of light shooting through the air and a familiar pale mint green streak whizzing amongst the bodies of enemies, there really didn't seem like any stopping us now. I felt the addicting high of battle, and it occured to me that I've never felt more alive than when dancing around the edge of death.

Powers can be addicting. The confidence you get when you know that there's something to rely on- something making it incredibly difficult for you to be defeated- begins  to make you reckless and egoistical. 

"You impudent child," Annihilate hissed, stalking through battle easily as he made his way towards me. The anger radiating off him in waves chilled me to the bone, and I hoped that my newly returned powers would be enough to hold my own against him. 

I didn't understand Annihilate's skill set. He didn't seem to have any flashy or obvious powers, but he was evidently far more durable than an average person. Geowater and Aerofire had spent nearly an hour throwing a variety of attacks at the villain, and despite that, Annihilate didn't have much to show for it other than a wide range of cuts and bruises, and the slightest trace of a limp. If he had managed to obtain powers from Ragnald, then I didn't know how I would fare against him with my months of not using powers.

Understandably, I was incredibly on guard as the villain approached me in a maddening rage and with the expression of a man whose pride had been severely wounded. The sound of his leather overcoat flapping against the air sharply hit my senses, and I almost flinched from the intensity of the murderous glare he was firing my way. "Do you understand what you have done? How much of my work you've laid to waste for your own selfishness?" he seethed, fingers twitching as he came to a stop across from me, the podium being the only thing separating us.

My muscles tensed, readying themselves to be thrown into quick action when need be. "You're the one who stole what never belonged to you, in the first place," I retorted with narrowed eyes, mentally praying that I wouldn't regret that statement too much.

Wordlessly, Annihilate pulled out a handgun from the holster on his hip, and I was faced with staring down the its barrel, frozen in place for a second. Before the bullet had been fired, I snapped out of the brief daze and managed to handspring out of the way in time to avoid getting shot in the head. In the moment of distraction, Annihilate swiped the stone off the podium by the metal stand holding it and whirled around to make a break for it into the crowd of combat.