Happy, Little, Dysfunctional Family

"He is the most infuriating being I have ever encountered," I grumble as I burst back into Stefan's room.

The younger Salvatore glances up at me as I plop down on the end of his bed, "Try living with him for the past hundred years."

I roll over, resting my chin on the backs of my hand, "We should have beheaded him when we had the chance."

"You loved him, Diana. Even when he left you for Katherine, you still had hope. If I had even suggested killing him, you would've turned against me."

Smirking, I crawl up the bed, trailing my hand up Stefan's leg. When I reach the bottom of his cotton shirt, I slip my hand under, feeling his chiseled stomach as I continue upwards. I let my palm rest on his chest as I run my lips over his jaw, stopping once they reach his ear lobe. Gently, I pull the sensitive skin there between my teeth, holding it for a second before letting go. "I loved you too, Stefan."

Stefan takes my face in his hands, smirking, "It's not the same."

As I roll away, Damon's brother's phone starts to ring. He picks it up, the smirk on his face instantly dropping. On the other end of the line, I can hear a frantic Elena. Her words can hardly be made out through the crying and gasps for air. Stefan stands, collecting a few things, before motioning for me to follow him down the stairs. In less than fifteen minutes, we are standing in Elena's bedroom doorway. She's clutching Jeremy to her chest, tears pouring down her face. Elena's brother appears to be dead.

"He saw the ring, that's why he did it. He knew," Stefan says gently, trying to get Elena to calm down.

From what I've gathered, a very intoxicated Damon came over, trying to work through his feelings. I guess Jeremy tried to intervene and Damon lost it, snapping his neck. Our only saving grace is that Jeremy was wearing one of the protection rings. I'm filled with rage. Damon had no idea Jeremy was wearing that ring. He was acting impulsively and just got lucky. I'd kill him if he'd actually hurt Jeremy. I've taken a liking to the misfit and don't want to see any harm come to him. Elena's brother has been dealt a shitty card in life and wouldn't have deserved to go out like this.

"He didn't see the ring," Elena responds between sobs.

"It's Katherine. She got under his skin. She undid everything that was good about him," Stefan tries to defend his brother's actions, but I can tell he's struggling. You can't justify this kind of behavior.

"There's nothing good about him, Stefan, not anymore. He's decided what he wants. He doesn't want to feel, he wants to be hated. It's just easier that way. He got his wish. I hate him, Stefan."

Stefan sighs, walking across the room to squat down next to Elena. "I know."

Before the two can say anything more, Jeremy gasps, his eyes flying open. He struggles against Elena's grasp, scanning the room. I can see the terror on his face, the inability to remember how he ended up on the floor.

"Is he okay? Stefan, is he okay?" Elena begs, her arms still wrapped tightly around her younger brother.

Stefan takes hold of Jeremy's face, trying to keep him still, "He's okay. Shh, you're okay."

"Damon killed me." Jeremy manages, his eyebrows furrowing together in confusion.

Elena kisses the top of Jeremy's head, stroking his hair, "Shh, it's okay."

Rolling my eyes, I step forward. They're going to suffocate him to death if they aren't careful, "Give him some space, guys. The kid just died and came back to life. Let him breath."