Burial Ground

"Damon," I reach out, grabbing his arm, spinning the vampire back towards me.

He presses a finger to my lips, pulling me close to his chest, encasing me in his arms, "I trust you. She's done this before, trying to drive a wedge between us. I won't let it happen again."

Together we move to the study, beginning to sort through the information on the witch massacre grounds. As Damon flips through one of the bound volumes, I let the needle of the record player land on the vinyl. The raspy voice of Ryan Adams fills the room. Damon turns to me, a smile spreading across his face. Standing on his toes, he dances us around the room, both of us singing horribly off-key, laughing. It's moments like these that I remember how easy it was to fall in love with Damon. How quickly we bonded and how strongly we fought for our love. It's in his arms that I feel safest and most loved.

"You two are so cute," Katherine leans against one of the couches, her eyes flowing Damon and I as we continue to sway back and forth. "How many timed did you two get caught dancing around in here with each other long after all the party guest were gone? Trying to kindle a dying flame, pretending like mistrust isn't eating away at both of you?"

Damon continues to hold me close to him, cheek resting on the top of my head as he addresses the viper in the room, "What we're doing is none of your business, Katherine."

"Are those the Gilbert journals?" Katherine, trying to brush Damon's words, strides over to the desk, picking up on the leather bound journals before casting it aside.

Damon swoops in, sliding the books, to the end of the table. Even if we knew where the massacre site was, we need to keep Katherine in the dark. Her allegiances shift with the wind. The knowledge of the sight in the wrong hands could spell disaster. "We've got sixty-four, sixty-five, and sixty-seven. We're missing sixty-six."

"How am I supposed to help you if you two won't tell me what you're up to?" Katherine pouts, arms crossed over her chest, bottom lip stuck out.

Damon spins around, eyes narrowing as he stares down the vampire in front of him, "Can you tell me where a bunch of witches were massacred in this town a couple centuries ago?"

Katherine hesitates for a second, before letting out a defeated sigh, "No."

"Then you can't help," Damon motions to the doorway.

Instead of taking a hint, Katherine continues to pout, now lounging on the arm of the sofa, "Why does she get to stay? It's not like she knows."

"She's narrowed down the search," Damon explains. "Did you know, Diana was here when the witches first settled in Mystic Falls?"

Katherine gives me a sideways glance, rolling her eyes, "Well, hasn't she just been all over the place."

"Yeah, why were you in the colonies?" Damon wraps his arms around me, looking over my shoulder as I continue to skim through the Gilbert journals. Nothing in here has been helpful so far.

I knew my past movements would come up, especially with Klaus in the picture. I'm not necessarily proud of some of my ventures. I was young and willing to do whatever Klaus wanted in order to gain his approval. This is not the first time Klaus has tried to break the curse of the sun and moon. He's obsessed, unwilling to quit in his pursuit until his goal is achieved. In order to protect those I love, I have become a pawn in his endless game. "Klaus has been looking for a way to break the curse for a long time, Damon. Seems as even back then, Klaus liked to send other people to do his work for him. I was sent to search for a witch who could help us. Little did I know I'd be walking into the biggest witch-hunt since Salem."

"You didn't know you were a witch back then?" Damon questions.

I shut the journal in front of me, sitting down on the desk, "No. I was young though and not at all prepared to handle the mass hysteria. I returned to Klaus empty-handed. Shortly after that, he decided the only way to get things accomplished was to do it himself, thus the chasing of Katherine and Rose for the last five hundred odd years."