Chapter 27 - The power of love

Itachi was sleeping peacefully. He was moved in an empty room after the surgery was a succes. All the words in the world couldn't explain Sakura's concern and heart ache when she almost lost him. She thought that her world came to an end. She felt like she couldn't breathe anymore but Kami answered her prayers and sent Itachi back to her, where he belongs. She swore to tell him everything when he wakes up. Even if he would reject her, she will continue to surroud him with her love and try to make him happy.

A nurse opened the door, revealing Sakura who was sleeping on the chair, next to Itachi's bed. Her head was resting on the bed edge and her hand was holding his tightly. She promised to be there when he wakes up.

The nurse shook her gently. She murmured something in her sleep and opened her eyes, being met by the artificial light. It was already evening, she lost the track of time.

The nurse bent down to be eye level with her while the pinkette rubbed her eyes and yawned.

"Miss Haruno, you should go home and get some proper rest, you've been here for two days."

She looked around the room, blinking. Her eyes landed on Itachi.

"I promised him to be here when he wakes up." she said with a weak voice. Her throat was sore from the lack of water.

"If he wakes, we'll call you. Lady Tsunade said that she got your shifts covered. A rest is what you need after performing such a surgery."

Sakura sqeezed Itachi's hand before she stood up and stretched her back.

She looked at the small svreen that displayed his regular heartbeats.

"Please keep your eyes on him constantly. He is..." her gaze fell on the floor. "... a really special patient to me."

The nurse nodded.

Sakura took her purse that was thrown carelessly on the floor and got out of the room. She couldn't trust anybody with his life but she really needed a shower and a decent sleep.

Her feet carried her through the long corridor of the hospital. It was quiet, all the patients were asleep. Only one lightbulb was flickering. She exhaled, exhausted.

The pinkette pushed the double doors open, the chilly air of the night hitting her face. The village was so calm... She wished her life to be like this.

She heard someone movig behind a tree and her eyes snapped in that direction. Her hand grabbed a kunai, being ready to stab whoever would threaten her life.

"Who is there?" she asked full of confidence.

Nothing.

Her feet carried her to that direction, feeling the grass tickling her naked ankles. She looked behind that tree but nobody was there. Could be her imagination. The lack of rest affected her in more than one way, she thought.

She lowered the kunai, exhaling.

Suddenly, someone grabbed her from behind, holding her tightly to a strong chest. A hand was on her mouth so she couldn't scream.

She struggled to get out of the grip, bringing chakra into her fists but right when she did that, the masked man's hand began glowing blue, absorbing her chakra. He chuckled.

"The more you struggle, the more chakra you will lose." he whispered into her ear, sending shivers down her spine. Her eyes widened in fear. What did they want with her? Who were they? So many questions flowing through her exhausted brain. The wind picked up and two more people jumped from the hospotal's roof.

One was a woman with long, brown hair and one was a man with black spiky hair. They both wore ANBU uniforms and masks.

What was the meaning of this?