Mermaids Press

I opened the door, a forcibly bright smile on my face

I opened the door, a forcibly bright smile on my face. "Hell- oh." 

My smile fell.

In front of me were two stern-looking police officers. Both were male, and their bodies were relaxed. Good. That meant they weren't looking for a fight. I bowed to them, keeping my face neutral. "Hello men, how may I help you today?"

The one on the right stepped forward a little. " We're asking towns around Fargo if they've seen this woman. In the last five days, have you seen her or anyone who looked like her?" He pulled out a picture of Attina.

Intriguing.

"I'm afraid not sir. If I do, I'll be sure to call it in though."

"May we come in?" So they were going this route. 

"I'm sorry, I have a date really soon. In fact, I thought you lads were her. So I must decline."

The one who seemed to be the superior opened his mouth, but the other pulled at his sleeve. "C'mon Jerry, let's just go. The guy just wants to get to his date, I know you can at least relate to that. All the times you called in sick so you could take Adrian out..." 

Jerry sighed. "Alright, have a good date, sir."

So he wasn't as superior as I originally thought.

Looking back, I shouldn't have answered, to begin with.