Mermaids Fall

While waiting for the night to come, I did have to go to work

While waiting for the night to come, I did have to go to work. It would do no good if I were to change my routine, it may help to cast suspicion upon me.

Trust me, it was no thrill to pretend to be interested in the gossip that escaped the large, loose lips of all whom were in the building. It didn't help that the boss was in, who was known for crazy conspiracies and other such bullshit. It was a small wonder the small shop was even here, with how stupid some of the things that came out of his brain were.

It wasn't even useful, all the same information, merely seasoned with a few nonunique opinions. Everyone who was home had a friendly visit with the town's pigs, which definitely stirred up the dust. The most popular opinion being that she was kidnapped, the second being that she was doing it for attention. No one really paid mind to the seeds I had tried to plant within their minds, unfortunately, since it had been several days since I had taken her.

The shift left me exhausted, the chatter was enough to make anyone sane want to drive their fist through a wall, so you can only imagine the effect it had on me. If it weren't for the fact that I needed to send the ransom I would just call it a day. Perhaps I'd start dicing up Attina to feed to the neighborhood dogs...

But no, I am occasionally a man of my word, and I would have so much more pleasure seeing her fathers crying face, plastered all over the news as he finds that I left a loophole in my promise. That he paid a kidnapper to prevent something that had already occurred.

Looking back, that was only the beginning of a large snowball.