Mermaids Golden Days

I had kept my distance as we walked through the woods, grip tight around Ariel, stroking her hair every once in a while, both to soothe myself and to keep up the facade that we were lovers

It was surprisingly soft, given the amount of dye it must have gone through, and I gently untangled any knots I came across. She was beautiful in her pain-induced slumber, face crinkling and body twitching every once in a while.

If only she could be covered in her own blood, to really seal the deal.

But alas, that desire would have to remain unsatiated for now. With the old stooge helping, it would be much more beneficial to act 'normal', no matter how boring it was. 

I needed to drain him of some food and money and get the hell out of there.

It wasn't terribly long before we came to his house. It was painted white, although it hadn't been touched up in at least a decade, with peeling paint and filth staining what could have been a dignified home. There were dead plants surrounding it, as what used to be most likely a modest garden.

But, in such an utter contrast, in the driveway was a beautiful pickup truck, and while I wasn't close enough to see the year, I could only assume it was issued in the last few years. Rust free and clean as a whistle, it's black coat gleamed in the early mornings light.

I was about to bring it up to the man, but he interrupted me before I could even open my mouth. "Do either of you have an allergy to eggs? 'm fraid that's all I got at the moment." 

"No sir." I didn't know about Ariel, but I hadn't had too many qualms about her death at that point. She was a dime a dozen, and cost more trouble than she was worth. Seeing her choke on her own spit may just cover the dues.

He lead the way up the stairs, warning me on which were a little unstable. He was a pleasant guide, telling me which couch was more comfortable, and leaving to make breakfast for me like the sympathetic fool he was.

Boredom ate away at me quickly. I had glanced around, taking in my surroundings, when I spied it.