CHAPTER ONE

A faint breeze blew through Freya's partly braided hair

A faint breeze blew through Freya's partly braided hair. It was more functional with the long chestnut colored hair removed from her face when she got acquaintance with her prisoners. A sigh left her lips by the silence surrounding her. She had tumbled upon a smaller kingdom who's ruler had left in fright of the heathen army. It could barely count as a kingdom, it had a tower with a few smaller cabins then a wall surrounding it. Something only to attack in thirst for blood when restless.

The thought about people were running in fright, leaving their homes because the pagans had invaded their country and killed their kings made her gag. She had heard the rumor about the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok being killed by serpents in a hole in the ground by King Aella had spread like a wildfire, therefor people running. Freya had seen the legend himself once when she was exchanging some hares for chickens and eggs in King Ecbert's kingdom. However it was years ago, when she was just a young girl.

"Freya!" The sound of her name echoing between the cold stone walls behind her filled her ears before the sound of heavy steps against the floor was heard. She crossed her arms over her chest as she continued to stare into thin air.

"Ilfred." Freya spoke as her companion stood beside her with his arms crossed over his chest as well. The slightly older man followed her eyes and stared into nothing. He had just visited the dungeon with Althen to remove their prisoner.

"I've know you for how long now?" Ilfred spoke and looked at her in the corner of his eyes. Freya just stared a head of her with an apathetic expression resting on her face. "Three years now and I've seen how skilled you are with your knives however I still get equally surprised when I see the result of your victims." He continued and Freya remained silent. Ilfred had gotten close to the woman beside him, he knew she let her victims do the talking and screaming while she remained calm and silent.

They had met three years ago when both of them were hunting. Neither one of them had a placed called home, both had abandoned or been abandoned. Ilfred enjoyed the free life, living on his own terms even if he was an exquisite assassin. They had paired up after getting to know each other then they had become companions. Usually hired for kills.

"Have you sent someone for the Bishop like I asked?" Freya asked, ignoring his little speech. Ilfred swallowed as he looked to the ground, trying to fight the small smile on his lips. Freya was a master of surprise yet somethings never changed.

"Yes." Ilfred said shortly, mimicking Freya with a small smile on his face. Freya kept a neutral expression as she turned to look at him, raising her brow as she demanded a better answer. "Edwy left as soon as you were finished with him." Ilfred continued and then he got the first reaction from her, a faint snort.

"Then we can wait until tomorrow until they arrive." Freya said with bitterness dripping from her voice and earned a chuckle from Ilfred.

"You don't trust him?" Ilfred said and Freya stared a head of them.