CHAPTER SIX

Freya stood by the King, his sons and Bishop Heahmund facing her as Ilfred and Althen stood behind her

Freya stood by the King, his sons and Bishop Heahmund facing her as Ilfred and Althen stood behind her. Judith walked around the small camp and helped the injured. Screams and pleads for help filled her ears and even such a thing pleased her.

"What happened Freya?" The King said, disappointment clear as the sky they hadn't seen in days. Freya clenched her jaw when he walked towards her, getting close to her personal space. "I thought you would fix things, not let us walk straight to our death in there." He said as he raised his voice.

"Are you one of them?" Alfred asked and she quickly looked at him, jaw clenching tightly as her eyes burned. She walked past the king and walked over to Alfred who gulped.

"Are you questioning my loyalty?" Freya asked him with a burning rage inside her. "I did more in there than you did Alfred. If I remember correctly you were almost killed by them yourself." She added. Judith saw Freya and how close she stood by her son and she quickly walked over to them, standing in front of her son to protect him. Freya shook her head with a smirk.

"Remember who you're speaking to." Judith spat at her and Freya laughed.

"It's no wonder why he was almost killed when his little mother wasn't there to protect him." Freya said and she heard Ilfred say her name, warning her. Freya ignored him and glared at Aethelred who gulped as their eyes met. 

"Glad you're the heir to the crown, at least you fought for yourself." Freya spat before walking away. Ilfred and Althen followed her and the other only watched as they walked away. Judith walked over to her husband.

"Why are we following her?" Judith spat in a whisper. "Are you letting her say such a thing?" She continued and Heahmund raised his brow at the king before walking over to Freya. He admired her for speaking her mind. Not bending her knee for anyone whose not worthy of it.

"I couldn't kill their leader since when I knew who he was you were marching towards the gates." Freya said and it was the closest to an apology she would give anyone. "Yet I've stirred the pot and Ivar knows who I am now which should make our next attack fun." She added and Heahmund gave her a nod.

"Did you see anything special inside?" heahmund asked and she shook her head.

"I didn't even notice the spikes in the ground." Freya said, almost shameful. "There's many heathens inside and neither one of them are afraid to kill anyone of us. Yet my small gifts might have worried some." Freya said before telling them about her gifts.

"That's our girl." Ilfred said and Althen nodded with a proud smile.

"They were searching for you?" Heahmund asked and she nodded.

"Yes, because I drew crosses on Ivar's brothers heads." She said and smirked at the memory. "Then before you arrive Ivar got his surprise." She told them and was returned with a nod.

"How couldn't they found you?" Heahmund asked.

"I found an abandoned attic in one of the towers in the wall yet I'm very good at hiding. I don't think the earl before them had used it in a long time. Filled with dust." Freya said. "I count on us to start planning for another attack." She said and Heahmund nodded.