CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Four days had passed since Freya had arrived in Harald's kingdom

Four days had passed since Freya had arrived in Harald's kingdom. Four days of chains, more confusing visits from Ivar and some left overs of foods had been given to her. Her knees were aching from her position on the ground yet it had started to numb slightly. She had slept to a minimum, not trusting anyone even if she was a light sleeper.

The sudden sound of heavy footsteps echoing in further away and got closer filled her ears. The sound of a door being opened and closed then the footsteps got even louder, yet it was only one pair of feet she could hear. She let her head hung low, making some pieces of hair hung in her face as a pair of feet was visible in the corner of her eyes. She knew it wasn't Ivar who had come to see her, there wasn't a lack of rhythm in the walking nor did she see his thin cane. Freya then tilted her head up and kept a neutral face when her eyes met King Harald's.

"Your grace." Freya said as she greeted the king and gave him a nod.

"Freya." Harald said as if it pained him to say it.

"Why have I gotten then privilege to be blessed with your presence as the simple prisoner I am?" Freya asked and Harald slowly made his way closer to her. When he stopped she tilted her head further back up so she could look at him, not being afraid to meet his eyes. She had noticed his disgust for her and she knew that nothing good could come from meeting him alone. Yet she would never give men like him the pleasure of seeing someone like her feel afraid.

"You should be thankful, if it weren't for Ivar you and that Bishop would've been dead by now." Harald said and she felt relaxed when she then got confirmed that Heahmund was still alive as well. "Yet I'm slightly intrigued since Ivar has spoke so highly of your skills, you have your name and know our language." He continued and she raised her brow.

"Well, as you can see I can't exactly kiss your feet and praise you as God for keeping me alive, Your highness." Freya said as she motioned for her chains and Harald chuckled.

"You got quite the attitude for being chained." Harald said and she only stared at him with a neutral expression. Her breath hitched in her throat when he gripped her jaw tightly and she clenched her jaw as he stared down at her, his icy blue eyes penetrating her own stare, yet they only clashed against the hard surface deep inside her, not breaking the wall. She tried to calm her breathing as Harald gently stroked his tongue against her bottom lip which made her pull back yet he pulled her back from his strong grip. "I don't think Ivar has told you anything about me, or what I'm capable of." He said and she only glared at him.

"I can imagine, your highness." She growled and just as she pronounced his titel as mockingly as before his palm made contact with her cheek, staining it in a blushingly pink yet the ring on his finger cut into her cheek slightly. One red strain of red was visible as he gripped her jaw again, forcing her to look at him. As their eyes met she raised her brow, she swallowed with some difficulties. Harald bent down slightly, to her his mouth level with her ear, she could feel his warm breath fan her neck and she swallowed again. "If I were you I would show some respect. You're in my home, my kingdom right now and Ivar have nothing to say. I won't hesitate to kill you." He whispered in her ear and her breath was rugged.