CHAPTER THREE

King Aethelwulf groaned loudly after slamming his fist onto the large wooden table in the large room

King Aethelwulf groaned loudly after slamming his fist onto the large wooden table in the large room. Everyone looked at him, waiting for him to speak as they sat around the table. Freya sat opposite the King by the round table with her men on each side. Not long after they had gotten back by midday after they had left the heathens their surprise from her Denewulf had gotten some information from a simple farmer from a village close to York had told them about the heathens attack. Anger flooded through Freya's body evens if she knew their attack on York gave her the opportunity to make her plan reality.

"They attacked right as they celebrated the feast of Ascension. Nobody thought about the heathens attacking as they went to church." The King spoke. "Just like their father Ragnar Lothbrok did years ago and this time, like last time, we weren't prepared." Aethelwulf added with a sour look on his face that matched the bitter tone in his voice.

"Your gift didn't seem to work." Judith spoke softly yet her voice held a condescending tone as well and Freya only glared at her with an empty gaze.

"They're heathens, I wasn't counting on it Judith." Freya answered before looking to the King who rested his palms flat against the wooden table. "Their knew position gives us the upper hand." She said and they all looked at her.

"How? York is well shielded large town. They got the upper hand." Aethelred spoke and she didn't bother to look at him. The King only looked up and locked eyes with her.

"If they could get in so can we." The King mumbled.

"I need to kill their leader and I have a plan how I'm going to proceed." Freya spoke simply, removing her hair from her shoulder. Both Athen and Ilfred looked at her in the corner of their eyes, already familiar with the plan she had set up. They had helped her to plan it, thought about the different ideas and potential lethal situations that might occur.

"What plan?" The Bishop asked curiously and all eyes still rested on her.

"I'm going in, alone." Freya said simply and the king laughed as well did his wife and sons. The Bishop squinted his eyes as he looked at her and she only raised her brow as the others kept laughing. "I'm going to assassinate him."

"You're going to York alone to assassinate their leader?" Alfred asked after calming down and she nodded.

"I believe that's what I just told you yes." Freya said slightly annoyed.

"You'll be dead before you get close." The king spoke and she shook her head. "You're alone and a woman." He continued and Freya ignored his condescending tone.

"The gate is just by the forest and my men here will help me over the wall." Freya said without revealing too much of her plans. The King only looked at her as Judith frowned.

"Then why are we here if you're going in alone if you don't mind me asking?" Judith asked and Freya looked at her with her pale blue eyes.

"I was actually sending for Bishop Heahmund and you just happened to come along." Freya said and Ilfred bit his bottom lip to contain his laugher. "However the more the merrier. What's a pack of wolves without a leader?" She said.