CHAPTER EIGHT

Freya, her men and Heahmund stood with a couple of soldiers beside the king with York in distance

Freya, her men and Heahmund stood with a couple of soldiers beside the king with York in distance. They saw the smoke rise to the sky from within the walls. It had been three days since they had gotten a visit from Hvitserk and Ubbe. Freya smirked when she thought about the news the had gotten about one of the brothers leaving. She couldn't help but to wonder why yet she hoped she had contributed to it.

"Seems like the plan is working." The King spoke yet neither one answered him, they just watched. Freya bit the inside of her cheek in anger and annoyance.

"How much longer are we waiting my king?" Freya asked, her tickling fingers were begging for heathen blood.

"A little while longer." The King spoke and she let out a silent snort. Soon the king clicked his tongue and left with his men. The sound of the heavy horseshoes in the soil filled her ears as her eyes were glued on York. Her men and Heahmund stayed with her, Ilfred and Althen sat on their horses behind them. The wind blew softly in her hair as she let her blue eyes follow the smoke.

"I don't like this." Freya said. "No access to food or water, weakened and yet here we are sitting, rolling our thumbs like cowards." She added with bitterness clear as a day in her voice. "We might as well be taking a shít back here." She added.

"King's orders Freya." Bishop Heahmund said and she let out a sigh.

"We could've been attacking now, a surprise attack in full force." Freya said. "It's like were waiting for them, they have the power now and it wont make us win this." She said before pulling the reins to return to the camp. Ilfred and Althen followed and soon the bishop returned as well.

Freya tied her horse next to Ilfred and Althen. Both of her men noticed the annoyance oozing from her body. They knew her lack of patience without anything happening. They knew that once she was released from her leash she would even more ruthless than she usually was. It was like she was compensating for being pulled away from doing what she wanted.

She saw Denewulf riding towards the camp quickly and jumped of his horse before walking towards the main tent. She looked at her men before following Denewulf. When inside she could hear the man talking quickly to Heahmund and The king was listening closely.

"They're gone." Denewulf said. "The heathen army are gone." He repeated and Freya frowned.

"What do you mean by gone?" Freya asked. She had seen the smoke risen, they were watching York not long ago and they were gone.

"York is empty, we looked inside, the gate was broken and no sign of life inside." He said with a rugged breath. Freya looked at Heahmund skeptically before looking back at Denewulf. Aethelwulf had an almost non existing smile on his face as Heahmund discharged Denewulf for the day. They all turned to the king who had a pleased expression on his face.

"Heahmund gather your men. We're leaving." The King ordered before looking at Freya. She raised her brow before leaving, not wanting to look at the kings pleased expression. As she walked towards her horse once again she checked all her daggers, knifes and the sword that hung by her waist. She got onto the horse back and watched as the whole army got ready to leave. Men got their armory before gathering together nicely in their positions. The king walked out from his tent, dressed in his armor as well as his sons. Freya rolled her eyes when she jaw Judith repeatedly tell Alfred to be careful. She spit onto the ground and Ilfred smiled.