CHAPTER SEVEN

Ivar's face was decorated with a pleased and arrogant expression when his beated brothers stood before him

Ivar's face was decorated with a pleased and arrogant expression when his beated brothers stood before him. Ivar who now stood up with a cane in his hands slowly walked towards the throne, carefully and slowly sitting down. Some of Ivar's warriors was present as well in the room and mumbled incoherent words to one another as they watched the brothers swollen faces. Even a small laughter was heard. Ubbe clenched his jaw yet not tight enough as he tried to keep his head up. Hvitserk however looked to the ground, avoiding Ivar's electric blue eyes.

"I told you it wasn't a wise decision." Ivar begun. "Yet you ignored me and went to negotiate with the saxons behind my back last night." He continued and glared at them.

"I was thinking—" Ubbe begun.

"You were thinking brother?" Ivar cut him off with a scoff. "Taking decisions like these and we only see why you're not fit to be in command of the heathen army. It's about time you hand me the full responsibility and acknowledge me as the true commander of the heathen army." He continued and Ubbe scoffed.

"Since I'm your older brother it would be ridiculous of me to accept that." Ubbe said, declining Ivars offer.

"Yet I'm still smarter and wiser than you Ubbe." Ivar spat. "I'm not befriending someone who's at war with us. We're here to slaughter them all!" Ivar raised his voice and his men cheered loudly. Ubbe looked around before spitting some blood on the floor.

"Then we're leaving for Kattegat." Ubbe said and looked at Hvitserk. "We're leaving today by midday. Hvitserk." He continued and walked towards the door yet stopped when Hvitserk wasn't following him.

"Follow him Hvitserk, like the lap dog you are." Ivar taunted and Hvitserk clenched his jaw tightly. "Woof Woof." Ivar continued, making his men laugh loudly and he smirked at Hvitserk who glared at the ground before following Ubbe outside. Ivar continued to bark behind him and he mentally slapped himself.

"We got a boat and I'll make sure its ready by midday." Ubbe said and Hvitserk remained silent. "Brother." Ubbe said and hvitserk looked up at him.

"Is it wise to go back?" Hvitserk asked and Ubbe let out a sigh.

"If we stay here to follow Ivar through his slaughter of those saxons we might never return back to Kattegat. He's deranged brother and will lead you to death." Ubbe said.

"How can you be so sure about that?" Hvitserk questioned and Ubbe rolled his eyes.

"You saw them over there. Let alone you saw her over there and what she did when she was here. We got 3000 men here and neither one of them could find her." Ubbe said and Hvitserk remained silent before Ubbe let out a sigh before leaving him standing there alone.

"I'm not afraid." Hvitserk mumbled, too late yet he didn't walk back inside the church or follow Ubbe. Instead he walked towards the stairs to the wall. He ignored the looks he got from the warriors as he walked over to a less crowded part of the wall. A sigh left his lips as he looked a head of him. He knew what lurked behind those threes and he knew what lurked back in Kattegat. Lagertha. The thought of having to share space with the woman who killed his mother was worth being hit by the Bishop over and over again. The physical pain would never win over the mentally burning one.