Going on a Walk-IV

Emmeline

        We've been walking all day. It's been slightly below room temperature since about three o'clock, we ate all the food we bought at the gas station, Hans's nose is sunburned, Dumaine slipped into a creek we crossed, soaking his boots, and I really have to pee. It has been awesome.

        Every time we get bored or tired, we share a fact about our self or play a guessing game or Hans teaches Dumaine a new dance move or Dumaine plays a song or I show them one of the things I learned I could do at a gymnastics class a Demon once left me at. We talked and laughed and almost cried from this story Dumaine told us about the cat he had for a week. We've only stopped twice, once when Hans thought he could hear the ocean and again when he suddenly thought he left the oven on. We had to remind him four times that Drexel would take care of it.

        Now the sun is setting. Hans is leading us to a rest stop that's close enough for him to see the vending machines inside, Dumaine is yawning every five minutes, and for the first time all day, Demons are arriving. They walk beside me for a moment, creeping closer, until they see Hans, the rident old man, watching them. Disturbed, they back away, trying to be nonchalant as they follow us from a distance. I don't think half of them can even see Dumaine.

****

        "Is this legal?"

        "Being alive? Yes. Usually," I confirm.

        "What if the police arrive in the middle—"

        "Shhhh... Go to sleep." I put my hand over Dumaine's face, closing his eyes.

        "But why are we here? Why can't we sleep outside or go back to one of the hotels we passed?" he questions.

        "Those hotels are two hours away and it's safer in here. It even smells nice! You have nothing to complain about."

        He sits for a moment. "...But how are you going to sleep? Wait... Am I lying next to—"

        "A well—behaved Demon that has not caused any trouble. Go to sleep," I repeat.

        We lay in silence on the floor of the family bathroom. I've tucked myself against the wall, using my bag as a pillow. A dusty-looking Demon is beside me and Dumaine is beside it. Hans laid in the middle of the floor and fell asleep within two seconds. He picked a really nice rest stop. It's not what I thought it was going to be. Everything is clean and modern and smells like strawberry soap. We restocked on food, filling our pockets with cookies and crackers and chips. Dumaine took several map booklets, folding them into my bag before we locked ourselves in the large rectangular bathroom.

        "What does the Translucent look like?" he whispers.

        "It looks tired. Go to sleep, Dumaine."

****

        "Day four, day four, boy I do adore, this day numbered f-o-u-r. My feet are renewed, with this great at-tee-tude, bouncin', pouncin', and ready to go!" Hans smiles. "How was that one?"

        "I would really just stick to quoting Dr. Seuss," I answer.

        "How about this then, 'So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left.'"