Jumping into the Fog-III

Dumaine

        I blacked out. I forgot my eyes were closed so I shouldn't have been able to see anything. I don't think I've ever blacked out before. Or have I? What even is my name? Does the koala on me know my name? Oh, wait, that's Emmeline, not a koala. I wish I was a koala. No I don't. I wish I had some water. Like a lot of water. But I don't want to drown. If I were a jellyfish, Emmeline would think I'm cool. Oh, yeah, she already thinks I'm cool. I should really tell her about the lady I killed. I'm a horrible person. I wonder if that makes me a good Opaque?

        Something wet just slapped my face. And there it is again. This is disgusting. It's like there are slimy worms floating around us. Oh gosh, I think there's one in my pants. I'm not just imagining this, right? Emmeline's changed positions, so I think she felt one too. More and more keep appearing, sliding beside us. I actually think they may be slowing us down. Like instead of falling through air, we're swimming in worms. At least I hope they're worms. Could they be those little listening Translucent? That would almost make sense, but why can I feel them? Maybe I lost my mind like Hans and now I can see the Translucent too.

        We're literally swimming in worms now, and there are definitely some in my pants. Emmeline still hasn't let go of me, making this harder than it should be. I can't breathe but I think I may be able to speak. Even though that doesn't make sense.

        "Emmeline? You can let go of me now. We're not falling anymore."

        "I did. You have to let go," she whispers. Oh.

        I unravel my arms from her hair, realizing we're slowly sinking into the pile of worms. I haven't opened my eyes yet. I don't know if I want to.

        "Come on, let's find Hans." Emmeline's tugs on my arm. "Open your eyes."

        "You'll miss the best things if you keep 'em shut. I'm right over here, trying my best not to slip." I hear Hans. My mind protests, but I open my eyes anyway. I think. I blink once. And again. I can't see anything. I feel like I don't even have eyeballs. I'm rubbing at them, trying to get them to do the one thing they're there for.

        "Dumaine? Are you okay?" Emmeline's voice echoes.

        "Just wait for it, my dear, your vision will come. Don't worry. Take his hand, my sweet, lead him over here."

        I feel Emmeline's hands wrap around mine. "Why can't I see?"

        "Your vision is readjusting. You're seeing too much at once. Your pupils have all but disappeared. They'll open back up in a minute, and you'll be able to see more than you ever have before. I think it was the mist up at the top that did it."

        I want to ask him how he knows, but I bet he'll just say something about Joeni. I let Emmeline's tiny hands guide me, trying not to pay attention to the sloshing of my boots in the worms. "Are we at the bottom? Did we make it? Where's the Reaper-Mother?" My questions sound like Emmeline's.

        "She should be around here somewhere. The worms are slithering this way, come on." She pulls me. I can smell this weird mixture of dirt, leather, and pineapples. And the air down here is more hot and humid than the worst New Orleans summer. Some of the worms are sticking to me. And what's that sound?

        "Do either of you hear that?" I whisper. My eyes look left and right but still nothing.

        "Hear what?"