Never Letting You Go Again

As Nara's eyes fluttered open, the sudden burst of air that filled her lungs had the Galra Princess gulping desperately, battling to contain the life that was swiftly returning to her. Nara flailed her sluggish limbs, fighting the constricting funeral cloth that covered her, yelping in surprise as she fell from the cold slab where she had been laid to rest. TheGalra's head spun fiercely, lightheaded with the impulsive movements of her recent resurrection. The silk cloth fell from her shoulders as she rose unsteadily, kicking it away in disgust before patting herself down to ensure she was in one piece, nodding slightly in satisfaction with the knowledge she still had all her limbs. Nara glanced around as she slowed her ragged breathing, the light hairs on her skin standing at attention, hypersensitive to every sensation that the air provided. The Princess found the door that led to her escape, her legs and feet taking a couple of seconds to coordinate correctly before she was racing from the room, navigating the halls swiftly and silently. Nara easily manoeuvred around the timed sentries and avoided the laid-back guards, but soon found herself caught like a deer in headlights as two soldiers turned the corner at the same time and they unexpectedly found themselves in a standoff. The Princess was the first to move, quick to diminish the distance between them, knocking the soldiers out before they were able to alert anyone of her presence. Nara slid into the next room available and hastily brought up the interface from the console, relieved that her presence didn't send out a warning flag in the system. Her ears twitched on high alert as she typed fluidly, promptly sending the coordinates of the cruiser out to any ship nearby. It wouldn't be long before the Commander of the fleet would be made aware of the anomaly and Nara needed to head to the escape pods before the Commander ordered a lockdown to flush out the intruder.

***

When the immediate locator blinked on the map that materialised in front of Keith, Lotor and Matt, the Galra Prince's heart soared. A small part of him had expected that Rarg had just sent his sister to her death and was pleasantly taken aback to know that Haggar had not erased every trace of her daughter. Keith adjusted their course slightly and found his palms growing clammy with nervousness. The anxiety was soon gone and replaced with concentration as they neared the location of the beacon and found a small Galra pod evading the countless sea of opposing fire.

"Quickly Keith!" Lotor hard-pressed the boy as he stood helplessly beside the Red Paladin who promptly pushed his Lion forward. The Lion managed to come between the singular pod and it's enemy, destroying a few fighters before grasping the small ship between his Lion's jaws and sped away. Keith was never one to run from a fight but he knew when he was beaten, with an entire fleet after him, the Red Paladin had to choose his battles wisely. Plus the half-Galra had waited too long for this, to finally meet his mother, the woman who sat beside the Universe's oppressor for so many years. Matt advised Keith to stop in close proximity to a rebel base on a nearby planet knowing there would be no opposing Galra force. Only when the ship slipped from Red's mouth did Keith begin to imagine his mother's reactions. Would she be disappointed? He did lack the size and power of the Galra race, but he had the temperance and anger of one. Perhaps Nara would even be proud? He was a Paladin of Voltron, fighting for the Universe that she herself had been. Would she take one look at him and turn away in disgust? Or cradle him in her arms promising him that she would never leave his side again?

Matt noticed Keith had been completely oblivious to when Lotor sprinted from the Lion, placing a gentle hand on the Paladin's tensed shoulder only to snap it away as Keith jumped in fright. The Holt sibling was quick to apologise, noting the slight apprehension that floated in Keith's eyes.

"Are you okay?" Matt asked a little confused before realising what the Red Paladin was currently going over in his head. "Is it about your mum's reaction?"

"It's nothing," Keith shook his head and rose, hands shaking ever so slightly in cowardice, turning his head away at the unconvinced stare Matt gave him. The Red Paladin bit the inside of his cheek, it was clear that Matt thought he was overthinking things. "What if she doesn't want me anymore?"

The rebel barely caught the self-conscious whispered question and automatically flicked the boy square on his forehead, waving off the loud 'OI' he got in response and spoke sternly at the Paladin.

"You've both been waiting eighteen years for this, don't get cold feet now."

Keith let the rubbing hand fall from his head and considered Matt in high regard as his words steeled something inside him. The Red Paladin nodded once in hardened acceptance before leading the two of them from the Lion and towards his mother.

***

It felt like a lifetime to Keith as he and Matt crossed the small distance between the fighter jet and the Red Lion, his heart rate rapidly rising, deafening out the atmosphere around him. When Lotor moved to the side, the Paladin's breath instantly left him, the Galra Princess standing in front of him was breathtaking. He wasn't able to etch every smooth, flawless feature into his mind as the woman fell to her knees in front of him and wrapped him in her arms.

"I thought I'd never see you again," Nara breathed heavily, choking slightly on her words. She gently nuzzled her head in the boy's shoulder as she absorbed every breath and movement Keith made. The Galra moved back slightly, cradling her son's jaws tenderly in her palms as she warmed at the sight of him. "You look so much like your father."

"I do?" Keith could all but mutter out as he focused on the warmth that emitted from the woman's fingertips and seeped into his heart. Nara turned to Lotor in pure happiness and pointed at Keith, the Prince chuckling with delight at seeing his sisters shining smile.

"I'm never letting you go again," Nara spoke seriously to the Red Paladin before hugging him tightly once again. She blinked back the tears that threatened to fall and found her eyes gazing at a young handsome human smiling at the reunion. "Who's your friend?"

Matt jumped at the sudden attention as Keith pulled away and glanced behind him and motioned the boy over. The Holt sibling hesitated before moving closer blinking in surprise as Nara took his hand in her own.

"This is Matt, he's a rebel fighter." Keith tilted his head as the woman inspected him with scrutiny before she turned back to her son.

"Strong, a good choice for an intimate mate." Nara nodded in approval at her son's preference before giving her brother a confused look as both boys flushed red in embarrassment. "Did I say something wrong?"

"It seems humans are quite sensitive when it comes to such talk. Keith was not pleased when I asked him once before." Lotor explained to Nara before smirking and crossed his arms. "But alas, I'm sure these two would make quite a pair."

Nara chuckled along with her brother as both Keith and Matt stared at the floor in mortification. An explosion sounded in the distance and they all simultaneously glanced up at the sudden exploded orange sky.

"We should get back to the Castle," Lotor spoke aloud as Nara moved closer to Keith, her protective instincts coming forth. "The fleet should be almost upon us."

"Let's go." Keith agreed before he guided his mother to the Red Lion, who found herself suddenly a little intimidated by its presence. Lotor came beside her and smiled at her in comfort as Matt passed them and headed inside after Keith.

"The last time I saw this, it was still within Galra claws." Nara entered the cat and placed her hand on the interior in awe, "To think my son was the one who liberated it from my father and now pilots it, it is quite impressive."

Keith let a small happy smile grace his features before he brought the Lion to life, easing her off and began their journey back to the Castle, where Allura and the others were waiting with anticipation.