Day 5: Reason 5

Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today. 

***

"We're all seniors here. And next year we all plan to have a good job and future." The counsellor says walking up and down the stage.

Her chestnut hair in a tight bun and her black eyes covered by fake eyelashes. Her red lipstick glittering and to finish the look a suit. That suits her formal personality.

"More than 20% of the kids that finish school don't know what they want for their future. So, what's the point of all this?" She asks staring at all the kids her eyes not fixed on anyone.

"The point is we need to be ready for the world. 40% of kids believe that school doesn't help them in the future, well it does. School is the most important thing to fight the world.

If you have no school them I'm sorry for you. You have a big chance of having no stable future. McDonald's won't always have an empty reservation spot." She jokes making most of the students laugh.

Alan is next to me and his so perplexed in her presentation he doesn't notice me standing up. I walk out of the huge hall and walk into the hallways.

I've never really taught about my future. Except that I'll just jump and won't have to think about it.

That's why when she started talking about our future I left. I don't want to start thinking about it. I don't think I ever want to start thinking about it. Ever.

That's why I left. I sit down on the floor and rest my back on the walls. I hear footsteps coming forward, but I ignore them and just continue to think.

I don't want to go back in there. I'm not going to start thinking about anything. Not my future. Not anything.

"Hey!" A girl says. I look up to see her, black hair and grey eyes. "Hi?"

She sits down next to me and lay her back on the wall. "Running away from the future doesn't leave you in the present. You know, that right?"

I want to shake my head and say I don't know. But I do know what she means and that's the part that's bordering me. I don't want anything to do with my future.

I stand up ignoring her and walk back into the hall. I walk up to Alan and take my empty seat next to him. "Hey?" He asks as I sit down.

"Why did you leave?"

'Because she's talking about the future and I don't want to think about it.' Ya, I should say that. "Nothing."

"You know. The future Is going to come if you want it to or not. Leaving this world or taking your own life isn't going to stop it. It's just making it harder for the people who care about you." I ignore him and look away.

"5th reason. The Future. You don't want to jump off that cliff because you want to know what happens to you. In your future."