The Long Way Home

Outside the Dream ( A Junjou Romantica Fanfiction)

Chapter One: The Long Way Home

(I do not own Junjou Romantica nor any of the characters)

Enjoy!

_______________

Misaki's POV:

He was screaming at me.

Takahiro was screaming.

"How could you sink to a level as low as being a homosexual?!" Takahiro gritted his teeth and pinched his face in disgust as if the words left a bad taste in his mouth. I fumbled with words that could calm him down in my head.

"Takahiro, it's not like that, Usagi and I love-" Takahiro quickly cut me off;

"Love is between a man and a woman. It isn't shared by two faggots."

I stared at my brother through blurry eyes. Any words I'd wanted to say fled my mind. How could he say that? How could he be so cruel to me - his little brother?

Not even a tinge of remorse flickered in his seething eyes.

With a voice lower than a whisper, I sobbed, "Why are you acting like this, Nii-chan? I thought you'd accept me." My cheeks prickled with wetness and my body shook with a sob. After a moment of silence, Nii-chan laughed suddenly. There was no humor in his chuckle, the way I'd imagine a robot to laugh. Empty. Unfeeling.

"I didn't go to MA University because of you. I had to take care of you. I felt obligated. You ruined my chances to fulfill my dream. And if that isn't enough, YOU get accepted into my dream college. You thought that would make me happy? Well I got some news for you, Misaki, it made me despise you. After all that, after everything I still manage to care about you and you tell me you're gay? And with my best friend?!"

He must have been seeing red by now. The walls felt like they were closing around me as Nii-chan took a step toward me. Then another. Soon he was bounding toward me, one hand clenched in a fist so tight his knuckles bleached.

My arms flew up to protect my face and I did the only thing I could think to do at that point;

I screamed.

***

"Misaki? Misaki! Calm down!"

A pair of large hands shook my shoulders roughly in a crude attempt to rouse me. My eyes flew open and I awoke gasping for breath. That same wetness pierced my cheeks, but the fear soon depleted.

"Oh my God, what did you have a nightmare about, Misaki...gah..." Usagi pulled me into a tight embrace. His erratic heartbeat matched mine and I felt one of his hands on the back of my head. He weaved his fingers through my hair and rocked me in his arms. My body was still wreaked with ragged sobs, but in this man's arms, I wasn't scared anymore.

I twisted from his embrace, trembling slightly and whispered, "I dreamt...of Nii-chan. He was so angry...when h-he found out we're..." I couldn't say anymore. My words were broken by sobs and as they echoed around the high-ceilinged room, I hated how upset I was.

I hadn't even looked at Usagi's reaction, but his voice quickly told me what he was thinking. "I'm worried about it, too."

If he was trying to be comforting, he was failing miserably. One of us had to be confident my brother wouldn't totally flip when he found out about our relationship.

And I obviously wasn't confident.

"Misaki, if you keep crying I'm gonna have to make you stop the only way I know how."

It was my turn to be angry, "Idiot! I'm-I'm serious about all this!" With the resolve of not allowing Usagi to take advantage of me again, I halted my tears.

"I know," he placed a quick kiss on my forehead and as he pulled back, he smiled genuinely. "But you know Takahiro would never react the way you're thinking. Worst case scenario, he's angry we didn't tell him sooner."

I hated to admit it, but the man was right. Takahiro was the kindest person I knew, he's never put his own welfare before anyone else's and no one could help but respect him.

Not knowing what I could say, I nodded.

Content with our conversation, Usagi's arm hooked around my waist and his other held my hand. Our fingers intertwined and I drifted off into a sweet, dreamless sleep.

A/N: It's only been like a week and I already missed this couple! Well this is really just a promo since no one said whether or not they wanted me to do this! So I'll just refrain from updating for a bit, alright? Thanks for reading you guys, I missed ya, and I'll probably be back with another one, real soon.