Expression

Outside the Dream (A Junjou Romantica Fanfiction)

Chapter Twelve: Expression

Enjoy!

_____________

Omniscient Perspective:

Usami's keys slipped from his slender fingers as he whipped around at the sweet voice.

Misaki stood before him, his weight shifted to his left leg, as his other was still injured from the crash. His wound on his forehead had begun to bleed through the gauss, he needed to change it.

They both stood silently for an unbelieving moment, staring at each other like they were ghosts. Usami was the one that broke their haze; he leaped forward, closing the distance between the two in seconds. He threw his arms around Misaki, pleading for him not to disappear.

The smaller man only stood like a statue before finally locking his trembling arms around Usami.

"Where were you..." Misaki breathed, heartbreaking sobs slipping from his bruised lips.

Usami didn't answer his question, he simply couldn't explain everything just as it happened, he couldn't tell Misaki of Takahiro's intention, he couldn't tell him what he'd done to his older brother...

So instead, he tightened his arms around him and prayed he'd never have to let go.

Misaki's POV:

After a few moments of only Usagi continuing to squeeze me tighter, I squeaked "Usagi- you're hurting me."

He instantly eased off, "Shit, sorry! But...oh my God Misaki...I thought...I thought I lost you!"

"I'm fine, Usagi-san," I smiled, kissing his jawline. "I'm just fine."

Usagi pulled away for a moment, his hands on my shoulders, and brushed his thumb across my sore lip. He still hadn't answered my question, and that fact burned a hole in the back of my head.

"Where were you, Usagi?" I repeated shakily.

Usagi looked at me like a wounded animal. "W-work piled up, I was at the office." His eyes shifted from left to right as he stuttered his reply. He was lying.

"Usagi the hospital called you. You didn't come to see me...you left me to rot in that awful place. Why didn't you contact me?" I was crying now, and the tears came for a reason I wasn't even sure of. I was afraid of the answer I would hear. I was so happy not even a minute ago...how could it have gone downhill so fast?

He exhaled softly, "Misaki, I-I pulled you out of the water...you weren't breathing, angel...and oh my God, when the ambulance left they wouldn't tell me anything, and I saw Takahiro surface," my ears perked up at the sound of his name, "but he was fine, Misaki. And you were in critical condition."

His eyes opened wide, his pleading, desperate amethyst eyes. "When I confronted him about it...he-he said that the car didn't have to go through the railing. He tried to kill you!"

"That's not true!" I replied quickly, anger spreading through my words.

"It is!" He shouted back, "As much as I wish it wasn't it is! I lost control when he told me and..." Usagi trailed off, his eyes flickering down to the sidewalk.

"I couldn't restrain myself and...and..." This time he didn't finish. It was my turn to lose control.

"What did you do to my brother?!" I screamed.

"What did you do?!"

"I killed him, Misaki!" He yelled so loud I thought he'd torn his vocal cords.

It took me a moment to understand what this man had just said.

"You what?" My tears had stopped momentarily for my rage to take it's place. His, however, seemed to have evaporated entirely. His face was now embed with a look of utter sympathy and remorse. I hated that expression. Growing up an orphan, I'd earned that look from hundreds of people. They always had it, the look that said "This poor kid". It was like a mask they put on only when they were around me. Was I that much of a freak?

"I'm so sorry but he's tried to kill you, Misaki! I couldn't just walk away," he finally finished.

"Well I can." I whispered.

It hurt. It hurt so much saying those words. But the feeling that was suffocating me now could not be ignored. That damn feeling I thought I'd become so accustomed to.

Betrayal.

Usagi glanced at me for a moment, his mouth agape, hoping he'd heard me wrong.

I turned around.

"Miskai, please! " I heard him say from behind me.

"I'm walking away from this. Just as you should have done, Usami," I replied coldly. His real name felt strange on my tongue, but in another way it felt right.

I didn't know what expression he wore at that point. I did not turn back around.