The Package

I was putting my mask in my pocket as I snuck back in through the fire escape when I noticed it.

A small, brown paper-wrapped package you'd see in the movies. It had a twine bow wrapped around it, but there was no label to tell me who it was from or for.

I was tempted to shake the box but I decided against it.

I brought it inside and put it on the desk, sitting on the chair to stare at it for a few moments.

I opened the drawer to grab a pair of scissors. I slipped the blade under the twine and snipped. I snipped each piece on all four sides before I started tearing open the paper.

There was a thin box, one that was used for bakeries.

I grabbed my phone from my pocket and texted Ned, 'Did you send me a package?'

The reply was almost instantaneous, 'No y?'

I sent him a picture of the package before tossing my phone aside, peeling back the lid.

It was a mason jar? Who wraps a mason jar like that and leaves it on a fire escape? It had holes stabbed into the lid, did someone leave a caterpillar or something?

I picked up the jar, it was heavier than it looked. I held it by my face and noticed that it was full of water and had a weird fish inside it.

I glanced at the clock, 11:12, Aunt May should be asleep then. She wouldn't question why I took a pot full of water into my room.

I tiptoed into the kitchen and grabbed a big pot we never used and ran to the bathroom to fill it.

When I got back to my room, the fish was swimming around the jar in panicked circles.

I plopped it onto the desk and unscrewed the jar's lid, slowly pouring it into the pot.

Now that the fish was in the pot, I finally decided to look at it closer.

The tail was a bluish-green, but as I moved up the fish's body I saw... was that hair? That was brown hair, above the tail was just pale skin. I could only describe her face as elvish, like from Lord of the Rings.

She looked terrified, "Oh," was all I could find to say as the two of us stared at each other like it was a contest.