Introducing Alana

The pot was still under the desk when we got there.

I tossed my backpack aside and dragged it out from under the desk, trying not to have the water slosh out.

"You got a pot?" Ned questioned.

That was just before the little mermaid popped her head above the water.

She and Ned stared at each other for a while.

"A mermaid," was all Ned said, continuing to stare at her.

"There was a mermaid on your fire escape..."

I nodded my head at him, "Yeah," I told him.

Ned glanced at the door before loudly whispering, "Do you think someone brought her here because you're Spider-Man?"

I stared at Ned, "No one else knows except for Mr. Stark, and Mr. Stark wouldn't sell me out. So I don't think whoever left her would know," I told him, plopping myself in my chair.

"Then why would someone leave a mermaid in a jar on your fire escape?"

I shushed him and looked at the door, Aunt May was barely tolerating me being Spider-Man.

I had no idea she'd react to a tiny topless mermaid living in one of her big pots in my room.

"She doesn't know?" Ned whisper-yelled.

"How do you think she'd react?" I whisper-yelled back at him.

The little mermaid made a small screech, once again mocking me.

Ned stared at her.

"She likes to mock people," I informed as she did a little flip, splashing water onto the desk.

"Does she have a name?" Ned asked.

I shook my head, "She got here last night, I wasn't exactly focusing on names,".

She pulled herself up so her arms were holding her head above the rim of the pot to stare at us.

"I think she wants one," Ned commented as she stared at us intently.

"Uhh, what about Alison?" I suggested.

She only raised an eyebrow.

"Courtney? Serana? Melody?" Ned and I kept suggesting names.

She didn't appear to like any of them.

"Alana?" Ned suggested.

She seemed to perk up at that one.

"You like that one?" Ned questioned with a smile forming on his face.

She splashed her tail a bit in the water, getting more of it on my desk.

"Okay, Alana it is,".