Just Another Day...

POV SWITCH: PETER

The weekend flew by so quickly, but I had the best time. I wished I could've brought Ned with me, but someone had to watch Alana.

Ned had messaged me a few words he and Alana had learned in sign language and encouraged me to learn them before I got back.

He said she seemed really excited to learn them, so I made sure to learn the words as Ned messaged them to me.

Happy dropped me off at school Monday morning, Ned met me at the entrance with a grocery bag. He handed me the bag, which I promptly put in my backpack.

"Alana and I had a blast, she loves watching 'Subnautica' by the way, you should probably get it," Ned informed me.

I chuckled a bit, "I'll make a note to do that," I told him.

With that, we went inside and headed to class.

.

.

.

At the end of the day, Ned was waiting near the bus stop for me.

I liked that we both took the same bus to head home.

Ned showed me all of the signs that he and Alana had learned over the weekend, just to make sure that I had all of the signs down.

I did, but he showed me a new one they had learned this morning, 'banana'.

I held up my pointer finger with my other fingers tucked in and pretended to peel it.

"Yeah! Like that! She seemed to really like how soft it was," Ned informed me.

The bus rolled to a stop.

"Well, this one's mine!" I said to Ned, getting up from my seat to hurry out of the bus before the door closed.

A fire truck with its sirens on flew past me, turning a block over.

I lived on that block. I started to run that way.

I felt my blood run cold as I rounded the corner.

My apartment building was engulfed in flames.