Chapter 8

"I'm sorry, what?" Jeen said, blinking a few times and making sure she heard that right.
"I knew your father." The woman repeated.

"What do you mean you knew my father? How?" Jeen said, her tone came off rude but she didn't care. These people kidnapped her and now they're saying they knew her father who's been gone for the past twelve years of her life.

"I was a nurse in the same military facility he worked in when The Roman Project was still in progress." Tillman explained.

"The Roman what?-" Jeen began to ask more questions but then she stopped.

"Roman! Where is he?"
She sat up so quick her vision went blurry red.

"Where's Roman? What happened?" She shouted again as Tillman tried telling her to lie back down.

"You had a head injury. You hit it pretty hard so you might have a mild concussion, I'm the nurse here. And calm down, Roman's gonna be fine. He tried to escape but he's safe now."

She attempted to make Jeen sit back down on the bed, but Jeen was already stumbling away from the nurse and running to the door. She cried out as pain shot through her ankle. She looked down to see it was wrapped tightly. Tillman tried grabbing Jeen as she reached for the door. Jeen came to a halt as Tillman grabbed her arm the same time she smacked into a table with a platter of medical tools on it, glass bottles rolled off the platter and smashing onto the floor.

"Jeen! Calm down, you're going to hurt yourself!" Tillman said as Jeen fought against her hold and did the first thing she thought of. She grabbed the medical tray with one hand and smashed into the nurses face.

She cried out in pain and her hand loosened from Jeen's arm.

She ran for the door, barefoot and with a pounding headache. There were some short stairs she practically tumbled over into the tunnel filled with knee deep water. She hobbled as fast as she could while screaming Roman's name and trying to ignore the pain in her foot. She could hear Tillman behind her shout for her to stop but she was barely listening.

"Roman!" She screamed.

She came to the end of the hallway where it branched off in two different directions. On the right end the tunnel ground rose up above the water the led into another large room where a few people were sitting around. Jeen stopped short, her heart beating so hard it felt like it would beat out of her chest. Her eyes darted from the group of people who had not seen her yet to Tillman yelling and running towards her.
Jeen made a split-second decision and ran down the left tunnel. She ran as fast as she could, but soon she could hear other footsteps and other deeper voices, besides Tillman's, behind her. She splashed through the hallway as fast as she could force herself to.

She had always been a fast runner, but not fast enough to outrun her pursuers with a sprained ankle. She took another random turn down another branch in the tunnel. There was a doorway up ahead. She pushed herself to run faster. She came to the doorway and couldn't help but scream Roman's name when she saw him. He was behind a barred off area in the room. He jumped to his feet and screamed Jeen's name the same time she began to climb the steps into the room.

Excruciating pain shot through her as something hard smashed into the back of her neck, she fell and the side of her face smashed against the stone step, her head submerged under water. She screamed when she realized she was trapped, the door stabbing into her back, holding her under water.

Her mouth was filled with fouled water that kept her choking and drowning, unable to get up from the shock that filled her body. Her lungs were burning as she thrashed and squirmed, screaming underwater as the metal door kept her under. Her lungs felt like fire and all she felt was pain as her brain and body screamed for the one thing she fought for but couldn't get; oxygen. She thrashed as her shrieks were no more than gurgling. She couldn't take it anymore. Her body was shuddering and she was losing her ability to think.