Chapter 16

Roman was sitting in the sand by the ocean, alone. He had his elbows resting on his knees and his hair was blowing in the wind. He had left the house a while ago to get away. Ever since Jeen left, Londen and the Doctor were in a constant argument under their breath, Saule was as talkative as ever, and Wen was still gone, chasing after the psycho automaton who attacked them.

Roman had been to caught up with making sure Jeen wasn't dead to ask why they were attacked in the first place.

He heard footsteps behind him and turned around. It was Dr. Paxton. By the house was Londen leaning on a pair of crutches.

Roman began to stand up but the doctor told him to stay while he took a seat in the sand beside him.

"So, do you know why that guy was in your house, or why he wanted to talk to you so bad?" Roman asked, turing to Gabriel.

The doctor rubbed sand through his fingers, not looking at Roman as he spoke.

"Roman, I haven't told you some things that I should've told you the moment I heard your name."

"What?" Roman said, not understanding what Gabriel's meaning, and wondering why he didn't answer his question.

"We've met before. A long time ago."

"We have?" Roman said with a frown.

"Yes. But anyway, there's a reason that man wanted to talk to me."

Roman wanted to laugh because what the doctor said was a little obvious, but he knew better and kept a straight face.

"And you need to know that reason. But it's very hard to explain." Gabriel said, still rubbing sand between his fingers.

"Okay... so what is it?" Roman said, waiting to see what this was all about.

"Well uh-" The doctor chuckled nervously as he brushed the sand off his hand. "I suppose I should start from the beginning then." He cleared his throat before continuing.

"There was a... project that the government started a long time ago - not that long ago actually - it was, in a sense, a project to..." He paused a moment. "Create the perfect soldiers. One that was intelligent above imagination, one that was more agile than a wild animal, and one that was strong."

He turned and looked Roman straight in the eye as he said it.

Roman still had the same expression as before, a furrowed brow and slight annoyance at the doctors subtlety in everything he was saying.

"What are you trying to tell me?" He said. "And what does this have to do with the guy that attacked my sister?"

Dr. Paxton sighed. "Do remember what I said about Nikole attacking people who used to work for her?"

"Yeah."

"I... used to work for her. And this project I was telling you about, I helped her with that."

Roman couldn't help finding that information a little disturbing. He remained silent and listened more seriously as the doctor went on, a nervous feeling brewing in his stomach that felt like something bad was going to happen. But he couldn't understand why it felt like that.

Gabriel looked nervous as he paused to think of the right words.

"Please don't be angry when I explain this next part to you." It was a plea, one that sounded scared.

"Why would I be angry, I don't even... get why you're telling me all this." Roman said, trying make it sound like he wasn't concerned about what Gabriel would tell him next.