Chapter 25

She was leaned against the bathroom door as she slid to the floor. She gripped her head, rocking back in fourth, mumbling to herself, begging herself to remain calm. Just breathe; don't cry - but she was already crying.

She felt her stomach turn as a wave nausea hit her. She crawled forward, one hand over her mouth, as she grabbed the wastebasket.

***

"Where's Jeen?" Roman asked, his voice scratchy. His complexion was pale and his eyes were rimmed with red.

"You should drink something before we leave, you don't sound good." Londen said as he zipped his bag, glancing over at Roman.

"Where's Jeen?" Roman asked again.

"She's in the bathroom." Shane said, neatly packing everything on his 'don't touch table'.

Roman walked across the room, over to the bathroom door. He knocked rapidly.

"Jeen, we have to leave."
Only silence followed.

He knocked harder. "Jeen."

When she didn't answer, he sighed, "I can open this door if I want to."

He waited a minute more.

"I know - can I have a minute? Please?" Jeen shouted, her voice catching.

Roman ran his hands through his hair, giving up before he could think of anything to say.

"Okay." His voice sounded like a hoarse whisper.

***

Jeen closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the door. Her nausea slowly subsiding as she sat there, waiting for this torture to be over. For the sun to rise and tomorrow to come.

This was all a mistake, It had to be.

She hit her head hard against the door, a numb feeling in her head.

It was a mistake. It was a lie.

"Jeen, it's time to go now. Dr. paxton has a transfer ready. Shane's blocking system can't hold forever." It was Bosma this time.

"I know-I know." Jeen said. She was on her feet now, hands clutching each side of the porcelain sink.

She lifted her head, staring into her reflection; her eyes were bloodshot and red rimmed, her complexion pale. She shook her head, slowly knotting hair out of her face, slowly breathing in and out.

"You have to go now, Jeen, please come out." Bosma pleaded, her shaking voice muffled and raw with emotion.

"It's going to be alright, you just have to come out. It will be okay, I promise." Bosma said, her words filled with desperation.

Jeen took another deep breath, pushing herself away from the sink and backing away. She reached and unlocked the door from behind her, inhaling deeply before peering out the door.

Bosma stood there, holding Jeen's pack in her hand, concern plastered on her face.

"It's time to go now." Her voice was gentle, examining Jeen with her eyes.

Jeen knew she was a mess, but she just wanted it to be over.

"C'mon." Bosma said, leading Jeen across the apartment to a bedroom door. "It's going to be a long ride, so maybe change into something more comfortable." She said as she pulled out clean clothing from Jeen's bag.

Jeen walked down the wooden steps, night wind hitting her face. She stepped onto the dirt road, walking slowly to the parked ranger, feeling as if a frail gust of wind could break her. Across the street was someone warming their hands by a garbage barrel lit up with fire.