Chapter 17

She stood on the damp sand until the tide began to rise, cold water splashing against her ankles. The sky was clear with wisps of dark gray clouds splattered against the darkening day. Shining through the clouds was the sunset, a cold yellow mixed with the bright and shining orange. The sun would go down soon, the light was quickly fading. It wouldn't be long until the sky was a pale gray slate, with a hint of blue and a handful of stars beginning to shine.

Roman had walked down the beach until he was out of sight, too far gone and too far away for Jeen to call out to him now.

She had no desire to go back to the house. She'd taken off the scarf and coat, not wanting to wear anything from the doctor. It was a reminder of her excitement. How she actually thought they had a chance at saving their - her - mother. If they had never listened to Londen, and just went to a hospital instead of Dr. Paxton, none of this would've happened.

Now all she could feel was the hurt inside.

Half of her hated her mother so much it was painful - and the other half still wanted to save her.

It felt like she was being torn in two.

Roman would've never known that her parents weren't his. Jeen knew Roman wasn't the forgiving type, and to have him forgive Isabella for lying to him for his whole life... she wasn't certain he could.

She wasn't certain she could.

The way back to Dr. Paxton's was cold.

Jeen walked slowly, not wanting to go in the house at all.

She didn't want to speak to anyone. Didn't want to face anyone, didn't want to face her problems.

She trudged across the lawn, crushing the perfectly green grass beneath her footsteps. She shoved the code into the screen. The door popped open, Jeen walking in and slamming the door behind her.

"Jeen?"

It was Londen's voice.
"Don't talk me."

"The doctor went to go find Wen, and Saule's after Roman."

"I don't care."

She threw the grey coat and scarf on the coach, walking across the house while avoiding looking at Londen. She stopped in front of a glass window, staring out with stinging eyes. Her vision began to blur.

She reached up and wiped her cheek, pulling hand away and looking at it. She didn't even realize she'd begun to cry.

"Who are you?" Jeen said, almost under her breath.

She knew Londen could hear her. The house was deadly silent and they were only a room apart, no walls between them.

"Why didn't you just let us take you to a hospital? None of this would've happened." She whispered, her voice shaking.

"Why did we listen to you."

She heard Londen's footsteps across the marbled floor. The sliding of a chair across the floor came next. Londen then sat down, leaning his crutches against the table.

"Because if you didn't listen to me, you and your family would only be torn apart a second time."

"Too late. That just happened a second time." Jeen whispered, refusing to look at him.

"I know, and I'm sorry, but just hear me out. Roman's supposed to be dead."

"Stop being so vague and make some sense for once."

"Fine." Londen sighed heavily. "Your mother saw first hand what Dr. Paxton and Wen went through as they were - and still are - supervised by the Minister. Your mother used the help of someone else to put it in the medical records that Roman died of a plague not a year after he was adopted. If the Minister knew that your mother lied to him all those years ago, she would be taken to prison the minute we find her."