Chapter 22

"Where are they?" Jeen said for the third time as she paced the rooftop.

"They'll be here." Roman said as he sat on the ledge, looking over the darkening desert. The horizon was a dark indigo, fading into a light blue. A few stars began to dot the sky the longer they sat.

The hatch door opened and Shane climbed out.

"Good news - the plan worked, but not how we wanted. They won't make it back in time to leave."

"What happened to them?" Jeen asked immediately.

"Don't worry about that now. You need to leave." He said, his face so calm yet so serious at the same time. "That gate will only be accessible for another two hours."

Jeen rubbed her forehead stress-fully and looked to Roman.

"Okay." He said.

Jeen held a hand over her mouth, the nervousness she'd been holding in taking over.

"Okay." She finally agreed. "But you have to find out if they're okay as soon as this is over. Please."

"I already took care of them. Multitasking is my forte." He smiled pleasantly.
"Your what?" Roman said, tearing his gaze away from the desert with a furrowed brow.

"Just a word from Earth. I'll be downstairs." He said with slight amusement on his face. He opened the hatch and began to climb down the ladder.

"Wait, when do we leave?" Jeen asked quickly before he was gone.

He looked up with his heavy lidded eyes.

"Now." He said plainly and closed the hatch.

"Now?" Jeen repeated as she looked over at Roman.

"Now." Roman said through a sigh as he walked to the hatch.

He opened the door and began to climb down.

As she stood there she realized how unprepared she felt.

Wen stood by Gabriel, looking either sullen or angry, Jeen couldn't tell which. He was wearing a leather jacket, black just like the rest of his outfit, which looked tailored to fit him perfectly.

Shane stood up from his chair.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

Jeen took a moment before she answered.

"Yeah." She said, then repeated more confidently, "Yeah."

Shane nodded his head, then looked over to Roman, who stood by the window in the living room.

Roman turned and said, "Let's go then."

He walked over and past them towards the door.

With a knot that continued to tighten in her stomach, Jeen followed.

She opened the ripped screen door, cold night wind brushing her face as she walked down the porch, avoiding the hole that Roman had made earlier. As she walked down the steps and unto the dirt road, she looked across the street to see was someone warming their hands by a garbage barrel lit up with fire.
She pulled thread from her jacket sleeve nervously. She glanced over at Roman and Wen.

She couldn't believe they were really doing this. They were sneaking in. They were bringing her mother home.

"Hey Jeen."

She turned to see Shane walking down the stairs.

He walked over, holding a few gadgets on his hands.