Chapter 18

"Roman, wait!" Saule shouted across the beach, out of breath from running.

Roman was still thirty feet ahead of her, and completely not listening to a word she said.

She didn't run this far in a knee-length dress for nothing.

Sighing angrily she said, "you know what? I don't really care what happens to you or your family. I don't know you, and you don't know me. So if you don't want to listen to me, fine, then don't - but I watched my Mom die right-right in front of me. I was utterly helpless. There was nothing I can-could possibly do to save her."
He turned and looked at her with a face that was slightly conflicted, like he wasn't sure how to respond.

"She's gone, and she's never coming back, but you can find your Mom. You're not helpless - from what I've heard you're far from helpless. I don't know what she did to make you hate her so much - but I would jump at any chance if it was my Mom."

There was silence for a moment, Roman looking at his feet before he spoke.

"I-I don't hate her." His voice sounded hollow yet full of emotion.

"Then get her back."

"Easier said than done." Roman sighed.

"Guess you won't know until you actually try to get it done."

Roman breathed out deeply, as if he wanted to to disagree, but remained silent. He was hesitant, standing there, one step from running, and yet one step from coming back with Saule. 

***

Jeen jogged down the beach for the third or fourth time that day, favoring her left leg. Londen would notice she was gone soon, and who knows how long the doctor and Wen would be gone.

This was the perfect moment, but the hardest part was still ahead.

He was somewhere on this beach, and she wasn't leaving without him.

Every inch of her shoes would be filled with sand by the time she caught up with her brother.

She passed house after house, only pausing to catch her breath. There was a wooden dock up ahead. She ran up the sloping sand to higher ground, jogging up a wooden stairs. She swung around a railing and walked down the wooden boards above the water.

At the edge of the dock was Roman sitting with his legs over the edge, Saule sitting a few feet away.

She turned and looked at Jeen, then stood up and walked over.

Saule's black hair blew in the wind as she came closer. Jeen continued to pant while hunched over, as Saule whispered, "I'll leave you two alone."

She walked past Jeen down the dock, Leaving her and Roman alone with the crash of the waves and the distant city in the background.

Jeen stood there for a moment more, feeling completely disgruntled and with burning lungs.

She stood up straight and walked slowly over to Roman. She leaned over and sat down with a thud.

She looked over at him, him turning and looking at her a second later. Both unsure what to say to one another.

"I stole us a connector." Jeen said, pulling out the silver object and waving it around proudly for Roman to see.

He looked like he wanted to laugh, but all he managed was a weak smile.

Jeen's hand fell to her lap, her eyes flickering down, unsure of what to say.