Chapter 12

"Me? They want me?" Now Roman was confused.

"Yeah, you. It's not every day you meet someone with superhuman strength."

Roman glared at him, glancing in the kitchen at Ona, thankfully she wasn't paying attention.

"I'm not really supposed to talk about that - and how did you know, I mean, when you got us out?"

"Because, like I said, it's why they took you." Londen whispered.
"Yeah, I get that, but how did they find out?" Roman said under his breath.

"That's gonna take a while to explain." Londen said, watching Ona as she walked to the store room.

"I don't care." Roman said under his breath.

Londen glanced into the kitchen, then back at Roman and jerked his head towards the door.

The three of them stood from the bar stools and walked to the store room. Londen opened the door and Roman and Jeen stepped out onto the street.

He closed the door and turned to face them. He pulled his beanie down on his head and started with, "um... Nikole's been planning this ever since she was put in prison."

"Hold on... who's Nikole?" Roman cut in, his eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

"Nikole Lionel? Our former minister from twelve years ago?" Jeen said.

Roman looked over at her, still frowning.

"Who?"

Jeen swore Roman could be the stupidest person sometimes.

"Oh my goodness Roman, people talk about her in the news like every single day."

"I don't really care about the news if you haven't noticed." Roman snapped.

"Can I finish?" Londen said.

"Yeah, sorry, what's she planning?" Jeen answered, her rising annoyance towards Roman dissipating.

"I don't know everything, but as soon as your Mom can, Nikole's gonna make her recreate the serum."
"Serum? Our Mom? Hold up, what are you talking about?" Roman cut in.

Londen opened his mouth to speak, but stopped as he looked between Roman Jeen, slow realization spreading over his face.
"What?" Jeen asked.

It took him a moment to answer, his long hair falling in his face as he looked down at his feet.

"I-I, um, how much did your Mom tell you about your abilities?"
Roman laughed, not a humorous laugh, but a cold bitter one.

"Nothing. She never told me a thing. I just figured that's because she doesn't have the answer."

Londen didn't answer, instead he continued to stare at the ground with a frown.

"What?" Jeen asked, crossing her arms.

Londen looked at them, his eyes squinting from the bright day.

"Sorry, its just - this makes things a little complicated. A lot more complicated."

"What do you mean? Complicated, how?" Jeen asked, beginning to feel nervous.

"I mean complicated." Londen answered seriously. He seemed as nervous as Jeen was beginning to feel.

"Londen, just tell me. I can take it." Roman said, his voice confident.

Londen gave him a look that Jeen could've sworn was pity.

Jeen gasped as a bang and scream came from inside the restaurant. Roman jumped back, startled, and then he moved to open the door, but Londen's hand shot out and grabbed his arm.

Roman looked at him with a confused face. Londen shook his head and put a finger to his lips. He then pushed Roman back and wrapped his hand around the doorknob, and slowly and silently turned it.

He stepped into the storeroom, walking cautiously towards the doorway. He looked inside, and ducked back, flattening himself against the wall. Jeen immediately did the same.

Roman looked at Londen, his eyes asking for an explanation.

Londen grabbed his arm and pulled him out of sight, giving him a death glare.
"He doesn't know we're here. There's a gun upstairs." Londen whispered as his gunmetal eyes darted around the dingy storeroom.

"Who?" Jeen whispered.

"He's from The Swarm." Londen said as he edged towards the doorway, taking another look.
Roman started shaking his head. "What about Ona and Saule?" He hissed.
"We don't have time. I'm gonna try to get upstairs." Londen answered, "there's a gun up there."
Roman wanted to somehow run far, far away, at the same time he wanted to go over there and knock out whoever was over there with one quick punch. But, he had to force himself to remember his strength didn't make him immune to bullets. Londen didn't wait for Roman's answer, he started slowly edging his way out of the storeroom. He could hear the footsteps of the shooter in the bar area.

Roman did a dangerously slow thing as he leaned forward, his eyes just past the doorway enough to look into the cafe.

He jumped back behind the wall when he saw more than one person, each holding a automatic rifle, walking through the bar. He could hear them walking towards the kitchen.

A loud crash from upstairs stole the attention of the shooter. His footsteps retreated.
Then that's when Londen crawled out of the storeroom - completely quiet - and hid behind a table.
Jeen's thudding heart stopped as the sound of china smashing came from inside the cafe.
A gun went off and Londen screamed.

***

Saule grasped the gun as she ran back to the stairs. She opened the door and jumped as multiple gunshots and a horrible shrill scream was heard.
She was frozen for a moment before she ran down the stairs, her hands shaking as she held the gun in her hand. She stopped in front of the door that led to the cafe, and slowly pushed it open.

She aimed her gun at the man, trying to steady her hands.
Saule saw out of the corner of her eye that Roman had knocked out another intruder who was on the floor.

Her eyes wandered past the man - who had not yet seen her - towards a body that laid behind the counter.

She choked, her grasp on her gun weakening on the gun. As he began to turn around Jeen ran out of the store room where she had been hiding. "Saule, give me the gun." She whispered.

Saule let her take the gun, and ran towards Ona, sliding onto the floor beside her.

***

Jeen breathed in and out deeply, keeping herself calm.

"Drop your weapon." She hated how her voice wavered when she said it.

The man turned and looked at her with disgust in his eyes.

Jeen's stomach twisted and her hands began to tremble more.

She heard Suale yell Ona's - her voice breaking.
"I said drop your weapon."

He didn't.

He clutched it tighter and did something that made Jeen's stomach threaten to make her hurl with anxiety. He aimed his gun at her. Taunting her.
"You won't shoot me." He said carelessly.

After a few more agonizing seconds he added, "You're just like your parents, cowardly-"

He was cut short when Roman grabbed him from behind and threw him twenty feet across the room with a shout.

Jeen watched as he crashed into tables and chairs, everything smashing in his path. She looked back at Roman who was breathing heavily as he stood there, tearing his gaze away from the man to Jeen.

Londen cursed shakily as he leaned against a tipped over chair.

(if you liked this chapter, don't forget to give it a vote! Thanks!)