Chapter 28

She quickly finished the message for Bosma, sticking the connector back into her pocket.

Her hands were shaking as she gently folded a clean shirt, packing it into her worn canvas bag.

She breathed in deeply, headlights suddenly shining through her bedroom curtains. She looked at her the watch in her wrist.

It was barely dawn, but it was time to go. She slung her bag over her shoulder, tucking the corners of the blankets on the bed, tidying it up one last time. As she left the light turned off, and she shut the door.

Jeen wasn't ready to say goodbye even though she was coming back.

At least she hoped she was.

Either way she would see them again, she would make sure of that some way or another.

Only some goodbyes were forever.

Clutching a bag in her hand she left the dim house. Everyone was up yet no lights were on. She heard their voices outside, muffled by the walls.

Opening the door she stared ahead, and to her surprise she was calm. Maybe she was half asleep and she didn't know it. She smiled at the thought, thinking it almost funny. Her smiled faded when she saw Roman. She nearly stopped walking.

"Hey." He said as she stepped off the porch. "You ready?"

Jeen nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I hope so."

She looked past him to the ranger.

"Is this safe? Are you sure no one's going to find out about this?" She asked, unease filling her stomach.

"I'm confident if Shane is." He answered, looking back as well.

"What if I can't find him? What is its all nothing." She said as she felt tears sting her eyes.

Roman turned back to her, a frown forming on his face.

"You can't look at it like that. You're gonna find him, and when you get back this'll all be over." He said, putting his hands on her shoulder.

Jeen tried to feel reassured, but it was hard.

"What if I can't?" Jeen whispered, her voice fragile.

"Then you can't, but you won't know till you try." He answered confidently.

Jeen smiled weakly.

"When'd you get so smart?"

Roman smirked.

"Always have been."

"Sure." Jeen answered sarcastically. "Seriously, though, are you gonna be-"

"I can handle myself." He said, cutting her off.

"Sheesh. Okay." She remarked, raising an eyebrow.

"Sorry, I just don't want you to worry when you don't need to." He sighed.

"Fine. I promise I won't if you promise you're not gonna do anything stupid." Jeen said.

"Okay. Promise." He answered, holding out his hand to shake.

Instead of taking his hand she pulled him into a hug.

"I almost forgot, but happy birthday." She said when they seperated.

Roman frowned before his face lit up.

"Well, If it's any consolation I forgot too." He laughed.

Jeen's smile faded.
"I wish I could've thrown a party."
"Yeah, but that's not really important right now?" Roman said jokingly.
"You only turn sixteen once." She said.
The sound of the engine starting made Jeen feel uneasy.
"I'm gonna miss you." She said, feeling her eyes mist over.
"I'll miss you too." Roman said, his voice catching.
Jeen had been hoping this goodbye wouldn't be an emotional one, but she knew better.
"Anyway, even though I'm not going to be here, I told Shane and Gabriel it was your birthday, so they're probably throwing a surprise party right now." Jeen said.