Chapter 22: Something Really Stupid

They were all released from their cuffs and chains. Sam began spray-painting devil's traps in front of all the doors, while Dean had his shoulder wound treated by Nancy. Maya sat on a chair next to Dean comforting a distressed Puck after removing his muzzle.

Henriksen and the Deputy brought in some guns from the station's gun locker, but Dean immediately dismissed the weapons, comparing them to using BB guns against a bear. He told them that they needed salt and lots of it; Nancy suggested the road salt in the storeroom. Dean agreed and ordered salt at every window and door, while he made a run to his impala out in the impound lot out back.

Maya helped the others as they salted every window and doorway leading out side the station. They just finished up when Dean returned from the impala shouting, "They're coming! Hurry!" The lights flickered and electricity buzzed ominously in the air. Large black clouds of smoke battered against the building, blocking out the outside light as they looked for a way in. The building shook and rumbled from the barrage, as everyone looked around nervously in the bullpen. Puck whimpered and whined loudly, pressing his little body to Maya's legs as she, herself, stuck close to Dean. The pounding and rumbling intensified before abruptly stopping as the black smoke clouds moved on.

"Everyone okay?" Sam called out.

"Define 'okay'," Henriksen answered.

Dean went to the bag he brought back from the impala, grabbing four necklaces with a round pendant on them. "All right, everyone needs to put these on. They'll keep you from being possessed," Dean said as he handed them out. Maya gave him a weary smile as she accepted the pendant and put it on.

"What about you guys?" Nancy asked. Sam and Dean moved the necklines of their shirts enough to show fire encircled pentagram tattoos.

"Damn those are cool," Maya commented, receiving a smirk from Dean.

"And smart," Henriksen added. "How long have you had those?"

"Not long enough," Sam replied looking out one of the windows. There was a tense silence as the implications of that sentence settled in everyone's minds.

"We're safe for now at least," Dean sighed. "Doesn't mean they won't be back. We better get ready." He grabbed his bag. "Anywhere I can set up?"

"Yeah," Henriksen nodded. "Sheriff's office. Mind if I tag along?"

Dean shrugged, "Whatever floats your boat." He looked over at Maya who looked a little lost.

"The rest of us can keep look out," Sam offered. "Make sure the salt lines stayed intact."

Dean nodded then gazed at Maya who looked a little lost, "You doing okay there, Goldy?" Maya's eyes focused on him before giving him a curt nod and a small smile as she bent down to pet Puck.

"Yeah, just a little overwhelmed and a little shaky," her voice quivered a little as her heart pounded in her chest. Being surrounded by a horde of murderous bloodthirsty demons was way out of her league. "I'll help keep a look out. C'mon Puck," she patted Puck's side and slung her bag that she found over her shoulders. Dean nodded as he and Henriksen made their way to the Sheriff's office.

"Hey," Sam called softly as Maya went to walk past him. She stopped to look at his gentle and earnest face. "It's going to be alright, okay?" She gave him a small smile and nod in return, but the nervousness remained.

.........................................................................

Maya and Puck walked around half the station, looking at salt lines and out the windows for any sign of the demons returning. So far there were none. She took out another chocolate bar from her pack and started eating it as she crossed the bullpen to where Dean was setting up with Henriksen and heard this snippet of conversation.