Chapter 44: Triple Feature

December 1st 2008, Middle of Nowhere, Random State

Middle of the night...

It'd been a couple weeks since Anna got her grace back and flown the coop. As well as a couple weeks of what seemed like non-stop cases. They'd finish one then Dean would have them hauling ass off to another one right after.

It was late in the middle of forest country where the impala sat at the end of a gated off road, surrounded by trees and nothing but the sounds of the local nightlife to chase away the silence. The only sources of light being the stars that peaked through the remaining leaves on the trees and Dean's flashlight as he perused some police reports he printed off before they made tracks out of the last town they were in.

They didn't want law enforcement to come sniffing around and finding that burned body.

Sam was sleeping lightly in the back to better stretch out his long body, but it was still a tight fit. Maya was out for the count in the front from her own exhaustion, her head pillowed at a less than ideal angle on Dean's thigh.

And Dean was basically using her face as a place to set his reports while he flipped through them; even if he told himself he did it so the light wouldn't wake up the sleeping girl. But his lips would quirk in a smirk every time she shifted or scrunched her nose from the tickling sensation of shifting papers on her face.

Puck gave a snort in his sleep, earning Dean's brief attention as the little dog twitched a leg before going still again. Lost in his own land of dreams as he slept on Maya's chest under the hand that had petted him until she couldn't.

Dean looked back at the police reports intently, his gaze never wavering, even when he heard the distinct groan of disapproval from a waking moose in the back seat.

"What are you doing?" Sam groaned softly after seeing his brother still awake with a flashlight in hand.

"What's it look—" Dean stopped himself and readjusted his volume of voice so he didn't wake Maya. "What's it look like I'm doing?"

"Like you're looking for a job," Sam's voice droned in a whisper, unimpressed.

"Yahtzee."

With a tired sigh Sam sat up and looked over Dean's shoulder, seeing the printed reports. He scoffed quietly, "We just finished a job like two hours ago. And are you using Maya's face as a desk?"

Dean gave a quiet chuckled, "Heh, yeah. Pretty much. Kid's completely out of it."

"Probably from running away from that werewolf before Puck got to it," Sam rubbed his face tiredly.

"Yeah," Dean turned to look at Sam. "It was really weird how focused it was on her, right?"

"Extremely. It had me pinned and then it just let me go to go chase after her instead," Sam shook his head then sent tired narrowed eyes at Dean. "So, why are you looking for another job?"

Dean shrugged at him; not realizing Maya's breathing had changed. "Guess the adrenaline's still pumping," Dean turned back to the papers on Maya's face and held them up to Sam. "So what do you think...Cedar Rapids, Tulsa, or Chi-to-" Dean didn't finish as a hand shot up and grabbed the papers, and swiftly ripped them out of his hand.

Dean looked down to find Maya glaring tired gold eyes up at him, "Go. The fuck. To sleep!"

"Sorry, didn't mean to wake you Goldy," Dean put on a charming smile to get out of whatever retribution was running through the mini-Trickster's little head.