Chapter 42: Marry Me

November-ish, 2008, Random Town, Random State, United States

Sam was over by a pool table playing a game with some other patron of the dive bar, swaying and stumbling a little on his feet, his words slightly slurred. And losing all the money he was betting.

Or, so it seemed.

"See how Que Ball over there is smirking?" Dean said lowly as he leaned his head closer to Maya who sat with him at a small table with a clear view of the pool table. "He thinks Sam is piss ass drunk and is making some easy money, so Sam's going to let him win this last time. Before begging for one more game."

Maya sipped her pop, her keen eyes watching the game intently. "What if he doesn't want to play?" she asked, although the swagger the winner had was saying something different.

Dean snorted, "No way. See, right now he's feeling pretty good about his chances thinking he's seen all of Sam's drunken skill at pool." He took a small sip from his cheap beer, "Sure he may offer Sam one last out, but he's not gonna say no when Sam starts insisting. Especially when I walk up trying to call it off and reminding him how much he already won off him. And how much more he could possibly squeeze his drunk ass for."

"And here I thought you were winging the con man psychology," Maya nodded impressed, but was toned down by her smug teasing smirk.

"Just reading people Goldy," Dean rolled his eyes.

Sam as predicted lost and then begged, a little slurred, the man for one more chance, "Brian, come on, man, just one more. Just-just give me a chance to win it back."

"It's your cash," Brian warned unconvincingly, as Dean nudged Maya and mouthed 'Watch.'

"Excuse me," Dean interrupted. "My brother's a little too sauced to be making bets."

Brian shrugged and shot a glance at Sam, "Hey, he insisted."

"Yeah, but you already taken, what two bills off him?" Dean pointed out as Sam played up being a little less than coherent. "I'm just saying."

"Hey! Shut up, Dean," Sam leaned over putting a drunken hand on his shoulder. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not fine! You're drunk!" Dean argued.

Brian began setting up again.

"Let's make it $500," Sam told Brian stubbornly.

"$500?!" Dean told him in fake disbelief.

Brian smirked thinking when he stole this sap's money he'd be in so much shit with his brother, better than he himself. "Sure."

Sam took out the money and slammed it on the railing of the table.

Brian took the triangle, twirling it in his fingers, "$500. Your break." As he put it on a rack on the side of the table Sam and Dean sent meaningful looks to each other.

Sam leaned over the table and broke the balls apart like a professional. The happy expression on Brian's face fell.

Maya hid her smile behind her drink at Brian's oh-shit face, finding it deeply amusing. Served the jerk right for trying to take advantage of someone whose supposed to be inebriated.

Then Puck, who sat under the table in his special vest and was leaning against her leg, vibrated with a growl. Maya put her drink down and looked under to see what was up. Puck snarled even more as he got to his feet and looked in a certain direction.

Maya frowned and followed her companion's gaze, all Maya saw was Sam walk up to some dark haired brunette at the bar followed by Dean. Maya looked back at the pool table to see Brian pocket the money Sam had put down and walked away a little shiftily. Obviously wondering if Sam and Dean would come back to take that money back.