Chapter 39: Demon Possession's a Bitch

November 1st 2008, Gloversville, New York

After midnight...

Maya pouted as she rubbed the back of her head where Dean and Sam gave a reproving smack, each. Puck—the jackass—snickered quietly as he trotted beside her, his unsuppressed powers having healed him.

As if ordinary weapons could hurt him now.

"I can't believe you didn't listen to Sam, Maya!" Dean ranted angrily. "And then you go and insult the very powerful witch! Do you have a death wish or something?!"

Sam and Dean had been taking turns as they left the basement reaming into her for her actions.

Sam nodded in agreement with Dean and spoke with a little more calm, "You had no idea that Puck could do any of that, yet you still—"

Maya shook her head, cutting Sam off, and looked back and gestured between them, "Hey! You two have your own non-verbal conversations that I don't always fully understand." She gestured between herself and Puck, "Me and Puck, same fucking thing. He let me know he had an ace and I trust him."

Sam sighed at Maya's less than repentant behavior, "I understand he's...a special dog but, Maya, what if you weren't quick enough?"

"Exactly!" Dean grunted with a nod as they exited the house out the back door. "That demon could've had your guts spilling out onto the floor before you could say 'oops'!"

As they came to the front of the property the conversation was paused as they surveyed the now empty street around them for any late night stragglers. Seeing that the coast was clear they walked down the sidewalk towards the impala a block away and continued the conversation.

Maya having been a little in front, spun on her heels and began walking backwards so she could look at them. "Then why the hell did Tracy say he wanted me alive? And-and what did Samhain mean when he said he was going to get rewarded for handing me over? Hand me over to who?" she asked them in confusion. "What's going on?" she had slowly stopped walking and looked at their faces beseechingly with big round amber coloured eyes.

Dean shook his head before walking up to her and grabbing her shoulder to turn her around. "Don't worry about it," Dean kept his arm draped across the back of her shoulders and nudged her to keep walking. "Sammy and me will hang around a little bit till Loki shows up."

"Seriously?" Sam and Maya asked in unison, eyeing the eldest Winchester doubtfully.

"I don't want to leave you unprotected—"

"I have a badass demon-killing guard dog," Maya pointed out but Dean rolled his eyes and kept talking.

"—and I'd feel better if your ass of a Dad was here while your powers are on lockdown," Dean finished and took in the less than believing stares of his younger siblings. "What?" Their stares intensified, even the dog joined in on the intense staring. "Fuck, okay! Fine! I wanna stick around so I can ream his ass and maybe try a little light stabbing. I mean, who seriously leaves their de-powered kid alone for a party?!" Dean had removed his arm from Maya's shoulders to better exaggerate his next point,"You got freakin' mind-controlled by a witch!"

Maya huffed as she gave the older male an eye roll. "Yeeeeees, because she totally didn't hide her self so well that not even Heaven could sense her, let alone my Dad. It's not like I was supposed to be safer here than with a bunch of pagan gods—family or not—that wouldn't hesitate of getting a one up on my Dad by using me, or raping me, or fucking eating me!" she stressed, her voice becoming less and less sarcastic as she ranted.