Thirty Nine: A Friend

I sat on the rocky ground of the cavern, two handfuls of fire and watching the light dance on the carved murals over us.

I was sad to look at Nassir, imprisoned for no good reason and blinded to impede his art. His form was thin, but not enough to frighten me for his safety. No thinner than myself most winters. But with a little more meat on his old bones I bet he would be a strong fae. I could only imagine what it took to get him in here in the first place.

Nassir sat quietly while I gathered my thoughts, which I was grateful for.

I had told this story a number of times now, but this time felt different. This time might give me answers, and I wanted to get my details right.

"I suppose, this story starts with me being found in the mountains by a wonderful human named Bryn."

And I told Nassir about Bryn. Everything from his charms to his vices and how we went about our daily lives.

Then I told him about Mila. He took in a sharp breath and it startled me.

"Do you know Mila?" I asked.

"No no, I've been in here far too long to know any of the witches you would have met. They would be gone by now. From the way you speak of her though, it sounds like the relations between Witch and Fae are much different than when I was... before I was here."

"I think relations are strained, but Mila never had much of anything to say one way or another about the fae. I'm guessing any old grudges have softened through the generations," I said.

"You are probably right. Please, I'm sorry to have interrupted you. Go on, Wren," Nassir said.

I continued. I covered my education with the witches. I talked about the villages, and our occasional trips to Sulls. I covered the uncomfortable memory of setting fire to Mila's roof when my seal was first released, and then he stopped me to talk more extensively about my seal.

"Do you still have it?" He asked.

"No, it's gone now. Actually, it was just removed before DuVarick's guards took me," I explained.

"Ah, and that clears up more of the puzzle. Do you know when exactly it was put on you?" Nassir asked.

"I had it when I was found," I said. "It was off briefly when I um, when the fire happened but it was put back quickly to seal my magic and stop the fire consuming me."

"Mmm. And this time, when it was removed for good, did you feel any differently at the end?"

"At the end?" I thought about it. "I felt tired I guess. Oh, and some things changed. I think I became more fae. My ears grew back at least, and I feel a little disoriented, even now. It feels as though I'm not in my own body and I'm still getting used to walking properly."

"By the Stars, that's what it was," Nassir mumbled. "Go on, go on. Tell me how you came to be in the Wyldes."

Then I told him about Thain. He snorted at the idea of the raiders that burned Silver Lake and grumbled when the villagers didn't save me from drowning. He nodded approval for what Thain did, and listened intently when I described the little outpost I stayed at where I met Schula and Eberon.

I told him about my time in Thanantholl, the visit to Dwellonmar, and finally I told him about the magic training that lead me to the Winter lands where I was captured the moment my fire burned out.

I leaned over to drink my fill of water after all that talking. Nassir only sat quietly, contemplating my story.

I kept one hand free to hold fire in, I could feel my resources depleting slowly but I wasn't ready to give up my sight again just yet. I pulled some more mushrooms free and began roasting them for later while I waited.