Forty Two: Survival

It was cold on the mountainside, and it was actively snowing. It was daytime, but the clouds overhead didn't really show me where the sun was, and I didn't know what time it was at all. All I could say for sure, was that I ran down the slope as best as I could without falling over, while Thain ran beside me with Nassir on his back. Puko was high in the sky above, and there hadn't been a word spoken between us in the half an hour we had been fleeing.

Thanks to Thain's wind, our tracks were thoroughly covered. no snowy footprints or scents on the wind were left behind as we ran down into the treeline and away from the darkness.

I'm sure Nassir had questions. Hells, Thain had to have enough himself, but it wasn't safe yet and they would have to wait.

As the sun dipped below the clouds and we arrived at the forest's edge, Thain slowed us down enough to talk.

"I don't think we can stop for the night yet," he said.

"I don't either," I sighed, looking at my companions. "Nassir, are you doing okay?"

"Yes," he said, moving his head around, hearing all the strange noises of the Winter lands around us.

"I think we should go south. Surely they would be looking for us at the borders to the Wyldes," I said.

"You're right, do you suggest the human lands?" Thain asked.

I bit my lip and nodded, taking off south. "Yes, take me where you found me, head toward Silver Lake."

"We could go to the outpost," Thain suggested.

I shook my head. "When we get close, I'll steer us to Mila's cabin. They might find us at the outpost but they won't find us at Mila's, and I need to find some answers."

I knew Thain wouldn't approve, but he wasn't arguing with me either, so we went south.

The bottom line of the Winter lands ran right up against the wards to the mountains I called home with Bryn. Granted, we would have a few days to go, but with my newly transformed body and Thain's infallible strength, we would make better time than I would have before. It was Nassir I worried for, but he seemed to be holding up pretty well, all things considered.

We didn't stop that night, Thain running us through the open fields as much as he could and not through the trees where the flesh hounds and whatever else lurked just out of sight. Several times we saw things in the distance, but I kept my fire from flaring up out of defensive reflex, and Thain would just take us well out of range so as to avoid stopping.

By the time the sun was over the tops of the mountains now far behind us, I was exhausted. Thain was no better, and Nassir was worn out in his weakened state, even though all he did was hold onto Thain's back.

"I can nearly scent the wards from here," Thain said after slowing his pace a bit.

I caught up with him, winded, and raised my nose to the air. "That spicy scent? So does that mean we're nearly out of the Winter lands?"

Thain nodded. "How far do you think your destination is from here? Silver Lake is nearly due south from us right now."

"Probably a day, do you think it's safe to stop?" I asked.

"He is out of range, I cannot feel him," Nassir added.

"He who?" Thain asked.

"I'll explain when we stop," I sighed. "But I promise it's a good thing. Can you get us somewhere just on the other side of the wards to rest?"

"Yes, follow me." Thain took off again, and I grunted as I struggled to reach his pace once more.

I followed him through trees and over the rocky landscape for another while until we came across the wards. I felt them. They crackled on my skin as we passed a line of ground. The cold suddenly stopped, or at least it eased up quite a bit, and the ground softened underfoot with a familiar dusting of pine needles and wet leaves.