Prologue

Prologue

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Friday nights were Davina Jeanne Covey's favorite time of the week for one simple reason. Friday nights were family nights in the Covey household, and family meant everything to Davina Covey. Renaldi Covey had made family nights a tradition when her daughters, Davina and Florence were younger. The cause of this was, Renaldi Covey's promotion to Head of the Department of Misuse of Muggle Artifacts.

      Since then, Renaldi Covey had her hands full being a single mother of two young girls and fixing everything that went array with Muggle inventions, but Renaldi enjoyed her job and she loved her daughters even more. So much so, that the tradition of family nights mainly revolved around watching Muggle films on a Muggle TV (both Davina and Florence had been ecstatic when their mother came home with the invention).

Renaldi Covey grinned upon entering her home to see her two daughters already sitting on the sofas. "Have you two been sitting there all day?"

Davina was on the verge of falling sleep until she heard her mother's voice and abruptly sat up. Across her, on the other sofa, her little sister, Florence, dropped the book in her hands. "No?"

      Renaldi rolled her eyes. "Have you chosen which film to watch first?"

"Breakfast at Tiffany's!"

"Didn't we watch that last time?"

Davina have her mother a look of disbelief. "That's not the point!"

"She's just trying to watch it as much as she can before we go back to school," Florence explained, noting the look of confusion across her mother's face.

Renaldi sighed and dropped her bag, taking a seat beside Davina. Florence placed her book in the kitchen and sat on her mother's other side. Davina eagerly found the film tape and popped it into television. Taking the blanket that was on the settee beside the television, she sat back beside her mother.

      "When are we going to Diagon Alley?" Davina asked curiously while the film's intro played out. Renaldi shrugged and grabbed a chocolate frog from a bowl of sweets that Florence brought from the kitchen. "Next weekend, probably. Why?"

      "Peter wanted to come with us since his parents are still in Bulgaria," Davina stated and tilted her back slightly as the music filled her ears.

      "Still? Man, I'd hate to be them," Renaldi cringed at the mention of Bulgaria. Although she spent the majority of her life in Paris where she was born, spending winter and summer holidays in Bulgaria was something Renaldi did not miss. She hated the intensity of the cold and was thankful her Bulgarian father allowed her to go to Beauxbatons rather than Dumstrang.

      Davina nodded in agreement, remembering the Christmas they spent a few years ago with her grandparents, Renaldi's mother and father, in Bulgaria.