xviii. Silent Night

Chapter EighteenSilent Night

Chapter Eighteen
Silent Night

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

When Christmas dinner ended, the group migrated to the living room while Renaldi and Euphemia helped prepare hot chocolate and baked goods. Davina leaned against James, resting her head against his shoulder feeling a wave of fatigue hit her.

As tired as she was, she remained wide awake beside James. She thanked her mother as she was handed a hot chocolate and cookies to share with James as Sirius reached over to take some from the table where Florence was.

"This is nice," Davina heard James mumble from beside her. She dipped her hot chocolate and gave a small smile, "Yeah, it is."

"Your mom is really funny," he commented while Renaldi let out another laugh along with Euphemia and Fleamont. They seemed to be enjoying he evening the most. Euphemia and Fleamont had also been quite intrigued to hear about Renaldi's youth.

"At the time Dumstrang was accepting female students, yet with their reputation my parents thought it best to send me to Beauxbatons," Renaldi said to the Potters as she passed Euphemia the tray of cookies.

      "And your husband, where did he attend?" Fleamont asked carefully.

      "He attended Beauxbatons," Renaldi explained. "I met him in my third year of schooling and we became friends not long after, but it did take us quite some time to realize our romantic feelings for one another."

"That sounds lovely, so you truly did grow into love," Euphemia said. James seemed to be listening intently to their conversation and Davina notes his head turn slightly to the left and right depending on who was speaking.

"Yes, I like to think so," Renaldi said, her eyes gleaming with a longing for the man she loves. "He always said that he fell for me the moment he saw me, but I was the one who eventually grew to love him. I used to tease him quite a lot."

Euphemia glanced at Davina and James to see we son's arm draped around her shoulders, with Davina subconsciously playing with his hand. James didn't seem to mind and it was rather soothing on his end.

"And where are the girls from you say?" Fleamont asked knowing Renaldi has previously mentioned their adoption earlier.

Davina turned to Fleamont and replied, "I was born in a city called Can Tho in Vietnam. Flo was born in Lakota which is in Côte D'Ivoire in Africa. Our parents adopted us from in orphanage in Dunkirk when I was three and Flo was one."