xvi. Dancing Queen

Chapter SixteenDancing Queen

Chapter Sixteen
Dancing Queen

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Davina was awestruck when James' pulled out the cloak from his bag and in one breath explained the history behind him holding it when they returned to the common room late the other night. And still, she couldn't seem to wrap her head around the fact that he was a descendant of the Peverell Brothers and for generations, his family had been passing down the cloak to their firstborn children.

      When she was under the cloak, however, she felt like a hundred-pound weight was suddenly preventing her from breathing. It was either that or, it was the fact that James Potter was so close to her that she could feel the warmth of his breath on the back of her neck. Yes, it was definitely the latter.

      When she went down to breakfast the next morning with Roman, she was surprised to see James sitting with her sister. Florence was laughing and holding her orange juice in hand almost on the verge of spilling it, while James grinned and ate another piece from his waffles.

"Is that —" Roman's eyes were wide at the sight. Even she knew how hard to was to make Florence truly laugh. Davina nodded sharing her state of shock, "Flo and James."

Davina turned to Roman and saw her already sitting down beside Sirius, Remus and Peter. She huffed and forcibly walked towards Florence and James and took the seat beside James. "Hello, Love," James greeted with a warm smile.

His tired eyes quickly gave away the exhaustion he felt. Davina felt her heart lift at the sight. "Good morning, James," She said. "Morning, Flo. What're you two talking about?"

The latter shrugged. "James was telling me about the time he and his friends spelled a flock of birds to scare a fifth year who'd called Peter a coward," she giggled between her words, "And you were only in second year?"

      "Yeah. Reckon it was Remus who found the spell while I casted it," James laughed along. His eyes flickered towards Davina, a momentary gleam of curiosity sparked in his mind. "So tell me, Baby Covey—"

       "Don't—"

      "No, it's fine," Florence stopped her sister. Davina raised an eyebrow at her request. What the hell, she thought. Florence hated being marked as a "baby" of anything; it'd been that way since she was younger. So why the hell was James Potter the exception?

      "Anyways, I was wondering if you had any hilarious, sappy, overly adorable stories about DJ here," James smiled tauntingly at the oldest sibling. Davina caught the use of her sister's name rolling of his tongue.