xxiii. Love, James

Chapter NineteenLove, James

Chapter Nineteen
Love, James

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

Davina felt empty. Since the moment she left James standing, not even being able to see his face, she couldn't help but want to rush back into his arms. She cursed herself knowing she couldn't. She couldn't be with someone that was still in love with someone else. She couldn't be with James knowing he still loved Lily. Davina has to accept and face reality for what it was and stop living in a fantasy.

It wasn't long before February was over. March didn't prove to be any different, emotionally at least. Davina's bright aura dimmed and her smile never quite reached her eyes. Roman noticed, Florence noticed, even Peter noticed. Davina had changed. She laughed less and kept to herself more.

Roman knew how broken she felt about James after the trip, yet she didn't expect it to affect her this much. It wasn't until a rainy night an April when Davina finally broke down again and told Roman how if she could do everything again, she would. Even if it needed the same way it did. From James' idea to date, their rules, their secret moments, how she slowly began to fall for him... how he still loved Lily... how Davina was in love with James.

      Roman was out of ideas to cheer the Covey up by the time May rolled in. All it took was a single glance in James' direction for Davina to fell her stomach drop. She wanted nothing more than to reach out to him and kiss the frown on his lips away. However, her fear of being broken weighed on her and prevented her from straying to close to James.

She had to remember the truth behind their relationship. To James, Davina was a rebound. Second in line. Second best. When Lily was around, Davina was bronze beside diamonds. Her heart sank at the thought. Yet while Davina was busy trying to hide her heartbreak, James was unable to hide his from those around him. His eyes were surrounded by dark circles and his breathing ragged as he withheld the tears that threatened to escape. He was hurt.

"C'mon mate," Sirius shook his shoulder lightly to bring his attention away from his still full plate of breakfast and to his group of friends that were leaving for class. James mutedly stood from his seat and followed suit.

Davina watched him leave while picking at her food before he was completely out of her sight. Florence nudged her, "DJ, you've barely touched your food."

She shrugged. "I'm not that hungry."

Florence and Roman shared a look across the Hufflepuff house table. Each silently sighed, neither having any idea on how to cure her silent heartbreak.

Later that night, Davina followed through with her routine of the past few months of going straight to her dormitory after dinner and staying in until sunrise. She was sitting in bed, reading away the hours until sleep could finally relinquish some of her pain. What she didn't expect that night was for Peter, Florence, and Roman to enter the dormitory with the same look of pity on their faces.