ix. Evolution of Light

Chapter NineEvolution of Light

Chapter Nine
Evolution of Light

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Florence narrowed her eyes at the girl before her as she casually ate her breakfast. Davina did her best to pay no mind to her sister and hoped she would leave so she wouldn't have to answer any questions about him. 

      "How did he ask you out? DJ, come on!" Florence whined as she almost knocked over her glass of pumpkin juice.

      "It just happened. I don't know what to tell you, Flo," Davina said in a sleepy voice.

Florence hesitantly bit her lip and the thought of her sending the letters flashed in her mind. "Are you happy?"

Davina glanced up to Florence. "Yes, Flo, I am. I am very happy."

Davina couldn't help the smile that filled her lips as she spoke those words. If she was being honest, she was happy. Her fake relationship had sparked a new friendship between her and James and she was glad that each of them was willing to help one another out of their situations.

"I take it Lover Boy isn't irritating your ear off then?" Roman said as she took the seat beside Florence.

Davina shook her head, "He's nothing like that. He can get over his head sometimes when he talks but he's sweet."

"Reckon Lily Evans was overreacting then?" Roman suggested and bit into an apple.

"I don't know," Davina said.

"I guess it doesn't really matter. I mean you and Potter seem to be happy, so that's all that's important," Roman shrugged. Davina's amused expression slowly fell at her words. Florence furrowed her eyebrows at her reaction and watched as she excused herself to head to class earlier.

Exiting the hall, Davina rushed to Potions which is something she never thought she would be doing. She took her usual seat towards the front of the class and greeted Professor Slughorn. No one else was in the classroom since classes didn't start until 8 a.m. that morning, but Davina found this as a time to get some reading in. It had been a while since she last read, but she always carried a book in her bag.

      She had finished reading King Arthur only a few days prior and was currently reading a muggle novel named Brilliance, which detailed the evolution of artificial light (muggle inventions never ceased to surprise the Coveys). As she became engrossed in the novel as it reached a particular section about the engineering of the bulb's wires, Sirius Black took his seat beside the girl and shot a wink at James, who now sat in his own seat beside Remus.