xvii. A Covey Christmas

Chapter SeventeenA Covey Christmas

Chapter Seventeen
A Covey Christmas

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Before long, snow began to fall over the castle signaling the start of the holiday season. Davina was ecstatic to see the white fleece outside her window the last few days of classes. As usual, she walked down the stairwell to see the familiar head of chestnut brown waiting for her.

      "Morning," Davina greeted James as he turned to her. He held his book bag in his hands, clutching his robes tightly to keep warm. James felt a natural smile reach his face, "Morning, Covey."

      Their routine was becoming far too normal and the two would at times forget their entire relationship was merely a ploy. At times, Davina didn't seem to mind the thought of a relationship with James, however, when she remembered the nature of their deal she easily became upset. James, on the other hand, was happily living with the way his life was. He still wasn't completely sure why he enjoyed being with Davina so much yet he couldn't help but be completely content.

       When the two made it inside the Great Hall and began to eat breakfast, Florence walked to them and smiled sweetly in James' direction while ignoring the presence of her sister. "James, Mum says six o'clock is fine."

      James turned to her and smiled. "Great. Thanks, Baby Covey."

      Florence rolled her eyes before leaving to join her girlfriend, June and best friend, Grayson. Davina turned to James with a questioning eyebrow raised. "What was that about?"

      James continued to eat his breakfast and shrugged casually as he said, "I'm coming over for Christmas."

      "You're what now?" Davina asked incredulously.

      "Florence told your mum about me and said she wanted to meet me," James said. "It's not a big deal, Covey."

      Davina felt annoyed at the fact that her mother hadn't even bothered to send a letter to her asking. Then again, it had been her in the first place who hand told her that she was dating James to begin with... whether it was fake or not. Still, Davina didn't think it was necessary for her mother to meet James. It was Peter and Lily they were fooling, not their families.

      "That okay?" James asked, somehow letting his eyes widen with innocence at the question. It wasn't hard for Davina to see that he was being as genuine as he possibly could. With a sigh, she nodded, "I mean I guess so. I don't see a problem with it really..."

      James' demeanor immediately brightened at her statement. "Great. It'll be great, trust me. I'll see you later, love," he said with a grin as he left his finished plate on the table and exited the Great Hall to attend his final Quidditch practice before the winter holidays.