iv. Deliveries

Chapter FourDeliveries

Chapter Four
Deliveries

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Her eyes gradually fluttered open and saw James Potter at her side, helping her sit up. Davina's heart began to race when she remembered the reason she fainted.

      "Are you alright?" James asked, worry laced in his tone.

      Davina placed a smile on her face and nodded. "I'm fine."

      "Right, is there anything you need? Water? Should I call Madam Pomfrey?"

      "No, no, I'm fine, really."

      James helped her stand and keep her balance, in case she were to fall again. "Uh, so anyway. I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate your letter, but I've actually had feelings for Evans and don't think—"

      Davina's eyes glanced behind James for a moment and saw one, Peter Kavinsky, making his way straight towards them. How could she have forgotten? Peter was another recipient of Davina's letters. Her eyes trailed down to his hand and sure enough, it held his letter. Her heart raced at the thought of her personal feelings being exposed. This could ruin her friendship with Peter. Peter, who had been her best friend since first year. Peter, who had was in the midst of a relationship with Gracie Charles, the Hufflepuff in his divination class. Peter, who was... Peter.

Seeking a way to avoid him, she glanced at James, who was still talking, and thoughtlessly did something she never thought she would ever — not in a million years —do again.

      She kissed James Potter.

James' eyes widened at the sudden action and froze, before feeling the need to kiss her back, almost as if it was instinctive. As he slowly reached to place his hands on her waist, Davina broke away and looked behind him. Peter stopped in his tracks with a look of disbelief and confusion on his face.

Davina breathed in deeply hoping that Peter would believe that Davina liked James and not him, even for a moment. She couldn't bear to lose the friendship. She couldn't lose her best friend, the mere thought made her head swirl.

Deciding to run back to the Gryffindor tower, she left James standing in shock after mumbling, "Thanks."

"Davina!" She heard Peter call after her.

James glanced around to see the people that passed, having watched the girl kiss him. He turned and saw Peter huff and leave.